This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Deer Food Plot.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Deer Food Plot.

Postby Eugene » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:18 pm

Son said he wanted to put in a deer food plot.

Couple days ago I mowed the likely areas for the food plots. Plan was to herbicide burn down the existing grass then disk the heck out of the area, sow forage radish seed, harrow in the seed.

Yesterday I was applying herbicide when I noticed one of my tow behind trip plows next to the deer stand, no tractor. Closer examination, ground in front of the deer stand was more scratched up than plowed. The plow was plugged up with sod. No clevis, piece of ratchet strap used instead of a clevis hitch. And the plow was the one I used for parts on the other plow. Both plows were parked next to each other. The work ready plow has the clevis hitch, trip rope and tail wheel. The parts plow was easier to get to.

Today, wife and I took the Cub, trailer, log chains, clevis hitch, to the plugged up plow. Towed the plow backward and unplugged it. Then beat the a latch free to lift the bottoms. Rigged up a tow rope to operate the trip. Trip mechanism would raise and drop the plow or lock up and skid the drive wheel. Towed the plow back to the concrete pad.

My fault. We didn't do any "farming" when son was growing up. I should have told son my plan, which plow was work ready. And that for "planting" forage radish, no till works well.

Yesterday wife managed to drop the right pulley on her 42" mower deck on her 105 Cub Cadet. Today removed the mower deck from the tractor. Then quit for the day, 105 degrees heat index and sweat soaked.

So much for day in the office.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ctltmp
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 26047
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Cub
1954 Farmall Cub

Re: Deer Food Plot.

Postby ctltmp » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Boy it has been hot! Used to put in a lot of food plots for the deer. Usually draws them in really good. When I had the farm I used pull type equipment exclusively behind a Massey Harris 44. I always did like the way the old drag plows turned it over. If your plows were adjusted good and you know what your doing makes for a nice looking job.

I'm blessed with the nicest garden I've had in year's. Between that and sweating my rear end off in the garage fighting the old 49 cub that heat will beat a guy down.

Stay cool, don't let that heat get to ya.
WV Mike

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Had a heavy rain last night. Washed willow trees on top of the low water crossing. Wife and I spent an hour cutting up the willows and dragging them off the crossing before getting into the acreage.

Finished spraying herbicide on the deer food plots today. Will wait a week to see how the herbicide is working.

Forgot. When I remove a tree I cut it off leaving a stump 3 or 4 feet above ground and drive in a steel post next to the stump. Can see the stump and steel post when mowing. Had a steel post in the proposed deer food plot indicating a large rock, almost boulder, that we couldn't dig out by hand. Cattle probably knocked over the steel post. The plow hit the rock and rolled it out of it's resting place. Will have to get the skid steer to move the rock off into the timber.

When we get the skid steer on top of the ridge to remove the rock, will try to knock over a number of tree stumps, killed 5 to 10 years ago. I hit some of the stumps with a sledge hammer couple weeks ago. Got a significant wiggle, so they should go over with a push from the skid steer.

Came home and sat in the A/C to dry off, then shower. Another day in the office.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Cub tractor ride. Nice weather today, 70 degrees, windy. Checked the fence line. Found one tree down in the pasture and some fence repairs.

Checked the deer food plots. Planted mostly forage radish last fall. Radish was doing well in the fall. Son said that deer were eating the radish when he went deer hunting in November.

Today, 10 Feb., the ground on the food plot is absolutely bare, not a radish top or a radish in the ground.

Good thing is the ground is bare, easy till for spring/summer cover crops. Bad thing is that I need a cover crop.

Tomorrow, check cover crop seed prices at the local farm and ranch store.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:09 am

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61263

Initial tilling the ground for the food plot.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 64&t=77075

Down in the link is a couple of photos of my deer stand during construction and completed.

Two years ago a neighbor built a house and shop, on top of the ridge, next to the property line fence, about 250 yards from the deer stand.

In the photo of the completed stand, neighbors house, shop, vehicles, etc. are located directly in line with the window on the front side of the stand.

Pallet racks. Son works in the maintenance dept. for a fair sized company. Last week he borrowed my pickup and 18 foot trailer. Brought home the trailer and pickup bed loaded with pallet rack standards, cross members, grated shelving that fits in a completed storage rack and scrap metal. Son kept my pickup saying that he had more scrap metal to "haul off" and bring home. Hadn't seen the pickup for a week. Went to son's house today looking for my pickup. Found the pickup bed filled with a medium sized milling machine on a pallet.

Good thing the milling machine is on a pallet. Will need to use the skid steer to unload from the pickup.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”