This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

planting corn for deer

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

planting corn for deer

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Has anyone tried broadcasting corn then using a disk or spike harrow to cover it when planting it as a food crop for deer?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: planting corn for deer

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:41 pm

I have never broadcast corn for deer. I'm pretty sure that field corn has to be cultivated for any type production. My brother told me corn has to be cultivated. And, field corn seed is expensive.

Tillage radish (forage radish) is inexpensive, can be broadcast, deer love it. Local MFA has the radish in bulk and I can purchase as little as one pound. CRS, thinking one pound cost less than $1-. 8 - 10 pounds per acre. The radish is a great cover crop and drills holes in Missouri clay soil.

I've tried several different types of seed for deer food plots. Read that as I wasted a amount of money. Had decent luck with sun flowers (turkeys), and turnips (deer).

Suggest checking with your local farms association to see if they have seed in bulk. Then go home and research on the internet. Might want to talk to your local county extension office and see what they recommend.

Actually I've given up on deer food plots. I have spent $'s on soil tests, liming the soil to bring the PH up, and more money for seed, with zero results. Not mentioning tractor fuel and time spent preparing the soil. Actually have better deer hunting if I just let the weeds grow.

Which brings up another point, soil tests.
I have an excuse. CRS.

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:13 am

Disk, broadcast and disk in or harrow or cover with a drag should work except for any seeds not covered, which could be a lot. Exposed seeds would have a hard time getting by birds and critters. Turnips should also work well.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:08 pm

I planted field corn, one year, as a "green manure" crop, to be plowed in, when it reached 4 feet or so. 1 plant grew, out of 100 pounds of seed. The crows worked the ground so well, it looked rototilled. How did they miss the one that germinated?
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm not sure why anyone would plant corn FOR deer. They manage quite well in stealing most of what gets planted for humans. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would plant corn FOR deer. They manage quite well in stealing most of what gets planted for humans. :D

That's true, Don. Plant clover!! It's like a magnet! I had a patch, for a cover crop, and I think it attracted deer from 3 states! (Mammoth red clover)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:02 pm

I agree with Ed. Plant clover. Preferably white clover, but red will work too. It's a semi-permanent cover crop and doesn't require any nitrogen application as corn does. It makes it's own nitrogen. Mowing regularly and liming every year keeps it healthy.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:11 pm

I tried broadcasting corn in a food plot this past Spring. It was a failure but it was my fault. I used the PTO cone spreader behind the Ford and got the seed way too thick, I was given the seed free from a farmer neighbor. I ran over it with a disk set straight to cover it after broadcasting. It rained the same night after I spread it that afternoon, so it all germinated. Being too think, however, it grew straight up, tall with very thin stalks. It made some very small ears, but not much to speak of. I think if I would have broadcast it less densely it would have done great.
Trent McPeak

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:22 pm

Here is a pic of it right after it germinated. I should have taken the Cub with cultivator, shanks only at the wheels and taken out maybe half of it. It rained and got too muddy and I never got around to it, work, family, life, you know. You can see how it almost looks like I drilled it in, because I set a disk straight to cover it up.

Trent McPeak

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:02 pm

Don McCombs wrote:I'm not sure why anyone would plant corn FOR deer. They manage quite well in stealing most of what gets planted for humans. :D

To lure them in then shoot them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:36 pm

I agree, I have never understood why in the name of all that is good and holy would anyone try to intentionally feed a da*n deer when if you go sit in the woods long enough, or plant a crop, or drive down the road you're sure to see one. If I had my way there wouldn't a single one breathing, preferably on the North American continent but at least east of the Mississippi River.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Super A wrote:

I agree, I have never understood why in the name of all that is good and holy would anyone try to intentionally feed a da*n deer when if you go sit in the woods long enough, or plant a crop, or drive down the road you're sure to see one. If I had my way there wouldn't a single one breathing, preferably on the North American continent but at least east of the Mississippi River.

Al

Come on Al, tell us how you really feel. :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:31 pm

That's why land owners/farmers get free hunting permits. Land owners/farmers feed deer.

Edit: Haven't heard back from John to find out what he plans to do.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:35 pm

Super A wrote:

Al
LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. If you live in an area where such crops as corn, etc. are grown that may be true, but if you live in hill country, where about the only thing the ground is good for is hay, then a patch of corn to encourage them to get used to coming to a certain area, in condition to staying away from your garden sweetcorn is a good idea.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:57 am

Being rasied on a farm and living on a farm as well being an avid deer hunter spending thousands of hours in and around deer habitat, my obsevations are quite different. I contend that 90% of crop damage attributed to deer is done by raccoons not deer. Folks see deer tracks in corn fields and assume they cause the damage they see. You won't normally see coon tracks unless it's muddy or extremely soft ground. If you see standing stalks of corn where the ears have been stripped of kernals, that was done by a deer. If the corn stalk has been knocked down and the kernals eaten, that was done by a coon. Thats not to say that if a deer finds a downed stalk won't eat the corn but that's the exception instead of the rule. Folks see deer coming and going in the standing corn because deer like the cover it offers. There's also fewer peskey insects like deer flys and mosquito's than found in the woods.

Deer love soy bean plants too but you'll see them in a field wandering through the field taking a bite here and a bite there until their stomachs are full. I don't think they really do any damage to the plants or yeilds because just as I said, they take a bite here and there not staying in one spot for more than a bite or two. If you see an area virtually mowed down near a fence line or woods, that was done by a wood chuck. Again, you'll probably never see wood chuck tracks there but you will see deer tracks because the sharp hooves easily leave impressions where coon or woos chuck don't. I've discussed this here before: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59207&hilit=+crop+damage
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”