This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Greek cooking

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Greek cooking

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 pm

My first post to this part of the forum. I do not cook.
A Greek-owned "family restaurant" serves most of their food as Southern style and except for the most recent visit, it has been quite good. This last time, ordered the grilled chicken breast and one of the side dishes was potato salad. Both of them had the same unfamiliar flavor which I did not especially like. The potato salad was yellowish in color, quite fine in texture. Typical potato salad in this area is whiter. The flavor was not mustard.
Your guesses as to the seasoning(s) involved?
Your help is appreciated.
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Greek cooking

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:14 am

Cumin, curry, anise?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:33 am

The yellow could be from olive oil, which is a traditional ingredient in Greek potato salad. Also could have red wine vinegar, lemon, parsley or cilantro.

My Lithuanian grandmother's potato salad is yellow, but it is made from nearly equal portions of potatoes and hard boiled eggs.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:28 am

The wife had a bit of cumin here and that is most likely to be the "culprit". It looks as if it would add yellow color. Some seasonings are OK if very limited but not good at all in excess. I may ask the restaurant if they use cumin.
Not sure I ever tasted curry. It is not universally popular based on comments I have read.

Found this amusing article.

http://www.rhinotimes.com/Content/Defau ... 9/-3/7/446
Luck favors those who are prepared

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:30 am

Bus Driver wrote:Found this amusing article.

http://www.rhinotimes.com/Content/Defau ... 9/-3/7/446

Wow. That guy sure did a lot of talking before he got to the story. I would have "voted with my feet" before I ever got to it except I was sure you had put the link here for some reason.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Curry powder is a blend of ten or more spices, every family in India has their own secret recipe that is the best in all of India. :wink: Ranges from mild to extraordinarily hot. Very different from Mediterranean spices, but some of the best food i have ever had in my travels.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”