Was it a Coyote?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:49 pm

This past Monday I noticed what looked like a reddish grease spot in Flash’s fur in the middle of her back. She is always rolling in something so I never gave it a second thought thinking she got into something on the shop floor. Rosanne had gone out of town that day for several days and when she returned Wednesday the spot was still there. She said she has seen it on Sunday and thought the same as I did. She went to clean it and said under the fur was a large sore. She put some salve on it, but yesterday it didn’t look like it was healing so today we took her to the vet and they shaved around the sore. They found a huge pocket of infection and a fever of 105. The sore appeared to be a bite and a second, smaller one was also found.

The dogs will some time fight, but I have never seen them get that vicious nor have I seen them go for the back. I thought back and remember Friday or Saturday night I had heard a howl and then the sound of coyotes. At that point all three of the dogs were barking like crazy way towards the back yard. I am now wondering if Flash had been way in the back by herself and the coyotes had crossed the fence to get her and it was her howling from a coyote bite that attracted the other dogs to run to help her.

She is taking some heavy biotic and we have to keep her indoors until the sore heals to prevent flies from laying eggs on her. She was in poor spirits most of the day but is perking up a bit.

Re: Was it a Coyote?

Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:11 pm

Entirely possible.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Poor pup. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:32 pm

Flash weighed in at 67 pounds at the vet's today. That is about 7 pounds over what she normally weighs. She is pretty good at defending herself and if it was a coyote attack I'd say she did a pretty good job of protecting herself until the cavalry got there. Her sister Bandit is pretty feisty and Dozer doesn't take any guff from intruders either. Both those dogs can go from the porch all the way to the back fence in a heart beat.

Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Either coyote or even worse----COYDOG!!! ---they are NOT afraid of anything and will attack humans!--- so be on the look out! thanks; sonny

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:21 am

Yep, coyotes are everywhere now. Don't worry we shoot them on site in KY :)

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:44 pm

We have coyotes, and I'm more worried about other dogs than coyotes. Coyotes usually aren't very big, and pretty flighty. But you never know. Of course, we have wolves, cougars, and bears, oh my!

Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:09 am

Barnyard wrote:This past Monday I noticed what looked like a reddish grease spot in Flash’s fur in the middle of her back. She is always rolling in something so I never gave it a second thought thinking she got into something on the shop floor. Rosanne had gone out of town that day for several days and when she returned Wednesday the spot was still there. She said she has seen it on Sunday and thought the same as I did. She went to clean it and said under the fur was a large sore. She put some salve on it, but yesterday it didn’t look like it was healing so today we took her to the vet and they shaved around the sore. They found a huge pocket of infection and a fever of 105. The sore appeared to be a bite and a second, smaller one was also found.

The dogs will some time fight, but I have never seen them get that vicious nor have I seen them go for the back. I thought back and remember Friday or Saturday night I had heard a howl and then the sound of coyotes. At that point all three of the dogs were barking like crazy way towards the back yard. I am now wondering if Flash had been way in the back by herself and the coyotes had crossed the fence to get her and it was her howling from a coyote bite that attracted the other dogs to run to help her.

She is taking some heavy biotic and we have to keep her indoors until the sore heals to prevent flies from laying eggs on her. She was in poor spirits most of the day but is perking up a bit.

glad to hear flash is doing well, now its time to load the guns