Who is picking corn?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:20 pm

My sister-in-law gave us some sweet corn which was not homegrown but not bad for shipped in stuff. Has to be shipped in because corn here is just tasseling. We were wondering what was the closest that would be picking corn? Vern

Re: Who is picking corn?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:53 pm

The south Jersey veggies are hitting here first. We had corn the other day that was great.

A sad note,

We seem to have lost more of the local small farms here. We have two left in my area. One hardley grows anything. One offers mostly everything but some fruits are trucked in. What's happening to our local farms are the younger generations of these farmers don't want to do farming?

My cousin had a farm that was handed down from my great uncle. He would be at the farmers market in New York city every morning at 4am to purchase produce that he didn't grow for his farm stand. The kid worked 24/7 on the farm. He always had excellent quality produce.

These farm stands are drying up.

I was telling my wife to ask my kids if they want to plant my lot and share the veggies next year. Finding good quality organic grown stuff is hard. My kids grew up eating fresh veggies from our garden.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:53 am

I should be picking in a week or so. The 3.3 inches of rain,. yesterday, should perk it up. 4/10the of an inch,in June, didn't encourage growth!
Ed

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:35 am

No locally grown sweet corn in local farmers market. Vendors think locally grown sweet corn is still about 2 weeks away.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:32 am

Locally grown sweet corn showed up in the farmer's market this morning. 43 cents per medium sized ear, shucked and cleaned. There were only 3 or 4 packages available, each package containing 7 ears for $3.00.

Locally grown tomatoes are going for $2.00 a pound. Yesterday arrived early for another local vendor's scheduled arrival. Turned out wife and I were 2nd in line. Vendor set out a tray containing all of his tomatoes. 1st customer took virtually all of the tomatoes.

Talking to the vendor after the 1st customer left. Vendor stated that he priced his tomatoes high thinking they would last the two hours he scheduled for the sale.

To date, locally grown vegetables at the farmer's markets have been of low volume and not of top quality.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:35 am

My corn is just starting to tassel.

Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:42 am

I am about a week away from picking my first sweet corn for the year.

I have one acre that will be ready in a week and one acre that will be ready in about 4-5 weeks.

This picture is from a couple weeks ago:

Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:25 pm

I'll be picking, this weekend! Finally!!!
Ed

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Already picked it, ate it, plowed the stalks under and getting ready to plant again.

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:40 am

Woodchucks picked over 100 ears, from my second patch! Makes my trigger finger, itch!
Ed