growing white peach trees from pits

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:33 pm

We grew peach trees from peach pits. There like 12' tall now and the produce fruit but it makes it halfway through its cycle and the peaches shrink and fall off. I have six trees that do this.

Re: growing white peach trees from pits

Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:49 pm

If your white peaches are hybridized, you will not have success with trees grown from seed. Same goes for any other hybrid, like apples, corn, tomatoes, etc. You could, however, graft branch stock from the original tree to a "grown from seed" tree and get good results. Your problems could also be from disease or insect damage. Take a branch with a peach still on it to your local Extension Office and have them check it out.

Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Don't know what the problem with your white peach trees is.

The tree is native to upper midwest. As a kid family use to harvest white peaches from clumps of the trees. But that only occurred about once every 3 or 4 years. Most years nothing.

Son's neighbor has a white peach tree. Same thing, harvestable fruit about once every 3 or 4 years.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 pm

We always had them growing from seed!---they didnt live too many years but made full fruit every year and tons of it.---we just kept digging up the seedlings from under the old trees and planted them out in new rows!---its hard to say what they have done to them now since this was over 50 years ago when the folks would do this! thanks; sonny

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Should I try these citrus pegs you put in the ground to feed them?
Maybe my soil isn't right for them.

Away from the peaches my apples and pear trees are starting to have fruit too if the deer and bear would let me get some.