Peas

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Over 100 bushels of peas so far. Pink eyes are done, squash is almost done, okra is not producing much at all(whipped it and cussed it Saturday). Zippers to be picked again Thursday am. It has been really,really hot for about 2 weeks. I have already plowed the corn under. Planning for the second pea crop to be in on July 11th, will be cream 12's and zippers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Peas

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Nice Garden Tim! How big is it?

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:39 pm

Quote " I have already plowed the corn under". Tim, out here the old saying is the corn should be "knee high by the 4th of July". :D I like peas, but I don't think I'd want to eat 1/3 of a bushel every day for a year. :shock:

Bob

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:32 pm

2 acres Bill. Sold all of them Bob. We will put some in the freezer in the fall.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:38 pm

Whipping is supposed to help it, Tim. Mama told me that when she would whip me too, but I couldn't agree with her bout it helping me! :-)

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Thomas we both know it helped. :D :D :D .......us and the okra.

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:42 pm

Gotta love this forum. Great harvest.

What kind of peas do you get to grow in the GA heat? I grew up with only being able to plant in April for early harvest before it got as hot as it was today.

What kind of machine do you use to pick 100 bushels of peas? :D

Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:12 pm

Cream peas,pink eye, black eye, purple hulls.

I am lucky this year, I have a crew of 6 to 8 folks that come when they say they will and so far have done an excellent job on the pea picking. In years past I was the machine. Did not have nearly as many peas as I do now. :D