This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

how to cultivate raised beds

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

how to cultivate raised beds

Postby Eoghan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:38 pm

Hey all, we grow on about 8 inch high single row raised beds for improved drainage. does anybody have any suggestions for how to cultivate these? right now i've been doing all the cultivation on top of the row with a colinear hoe, but I'd like to be able to do shallow cultivation with the tractor.. I'm thinking a half wing set 8 inches higher than the aisle? right now I use 2 narrow shovels in the front and 3 spring tooth guys behind the wheels. it just gets the aisles, and it tends to mess up the edges of the raised beds. Any ideas?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: how to cultivate raised beds

Postby tmays » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Or you can bar it off with hillers reversed and then make a second pass to throw dirt back up on it with hillers
Thomas

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: how to cultivate raised beds

Postby Super A » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:14 pm

tmays wrote:Or you can bar it off with hillers reversed and then make a second pass to throw dirt back up on it with hillers

Don't even try to bar them off. Just use the hillers, or a set of "buzzard wings" (IH called them potato hillers) to pull more dirt on the row. Here's what I am talking about. Buzzard wings are used here, but the same would apply with a set of disk hillers.

viewtopic.php?f=149&t=41844

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”