This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Potatoes

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

Potatoes

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Finally was able to get the garden in Sunday and Monday. Planted the taters by using a wide shovel on the layoff bar, dropped seed then used the disc hillers I got from Clark Thompson a couple years ago for the first time. They work way better than the buzzard wings I was using. I was telling my cousin about this, and he told me my uncle did it the same way and then when the plant started to poke out, he had a 5 gallon bucket filled with concrete fastened as a roller on the drawbar that he rolled the top of the hill with, then hilled as normal as they grew. This is the first time I've ever heard of this. Anyone heard of or done this? John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Re: Potatoes

Postby grumpy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:37 pm

My grandfather would wait until the potatoes were about 2 inches tall and walk on the row and smash the tops down. I have no Idea why. Forgot all about that. Interesting.
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:25 am

The same reason you bend down onions. Puts more energy in the roots instead of tops. At least that's what all the old farmers use to say when I was a kid.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:55 pm

torchred89 wrote:The same reason you bend down onions. Puts more energy in the roots instead of tops. At least that's what all the old farmers use to say when I was a kid.
That makes sense (I think). I've heard of bending the onions, but never knew when . Any advice? John

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Do NOT bend/walk or otherwise damage the tater and onion tops!----they will fall over on their own when they are done growing and are maturing! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”