This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fence Security

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Fence Security

Postby John C » Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 pm

We are slowly making progress on the restoration of my grandmother's farm house, which was built in 1941. My cousins keep their cows on the property.

The problem is that about once a year, thieves cut the fence - I suppose to avoid the gate, where we have a security camera.

A cut fence is a real problem since the cows could wander into the highway. Is anyone familiar with any type of fence security? I am thinking of a wire that, if cut, would send a signal to a cell phone, etc.

I haven't asked the security company - I'd like to start with something we could manage ourselves. If the fence is breached, my cousin could check into it very quickly.

Any thoughts?

John
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fence Security

Postby Eugene » Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 am

A local security company could provide the expertise and equipment for such a system. The price of the system and maintenance may be beyond the property owners capability.

Unlike a home's security system there are other potential problems; weeds shorting out the perimeter circuit, deer knocking down the wire, tree limbs breaking the wire.

Ask your cousin if their insurance policy includes liability insurance for cattle. Guessing, insurance will be cheaper than the installation and maintenance cost of a security system.

My next thought. I walk my perimeter fence line every month or so. It's not uncommon for a portion of the fence to be down. In timbered areas, frequently a fallen limb has knocked down the fence. In open areas with no trees around, appears a fairly large animal was chased through the fence.

Edit. Years ago I took a course in the National Electric Code. 15 minutes into the course we, individually had to design a security system to sound an alarm if the security tape on a window as broken. Solution was simple because we did not have to provide telephone redialers to announce the breakage and A/C current was immediately on hand. We also did not have to send a signal or current through a mile of wire/security tape.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun May 11, 2014 8:28 am

John, Google "fence alarm". You will find all kinds of fence systems like you are looking for.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun May 11, 2014 10:58 am

This is one of those problems that it's very hard to recommend an answer due to the unknowns; length of the required security area, distance from power source, distance from power source to cousins home, distance from power source to security area.

Northern Tool & Equipment has some, not to terribly expensive, security systems. That is, providing the distances are not beyond the range of the equipment.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Sun May 11, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks guys. It is one of those situations that sounds simpler than it really is. There is about an eighth of a mile of road frontage. Power is 150 feet away, but no phone line.

From some preliminary searching, it doesn't look cheap...
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue May 13, 2014 9:47 am

Perhaps you should turn a barbed wire fence into an electric fence!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 14, 2014 8:01 am

John C wrote:From some preliminary searching, it doesn't look cheap...
Guessing again, probably the least expensive security system to install and maintain would be AC powered security lights that are controlled by photo cells/eyes around buildings.

I have a couple of solar powered motion detection security lights around my farm shop. Also have one set up so that if the shop doors are opened at night the light comes on.

Had a break in, theft, several years ago. Lost over $1000- worth of tools and equipment. Then investigated security systems. Came to the conclusion that nothing was practical and that it was cheaper to let the thieves steal the property. After the theft make an insurance claim for partial reimbursement.

Kinda of a sorry state of affairs when it's less expensive to let folks steal your property than to take efforts to prevent it.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed May 14, 2014 8:09 am

Eugene wrote:Kinda of a sorry state of affairs when it's less expensive to let folks steal your property than to take efforts to prevent it.

Actually, that is good news. If you want to shift the balance so it IS worthwhile to add theft prevention, all you need is a higher theft rate.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 14, 2014 9:05 am

Jim Becker wrote:
Eugene wrote:Kinda of a sorry state of affairs when it's less expensive to let folks steal your property than to take efforts to prevent it.

Actually, that is good news. If you want to shift the balance so it IS worthwhile to add theft prevention, all you need is a higher theft rate.
Or more expensive stuff for them to steal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed May 14, 2014 10:19 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Or more expensive stuff for them to steal.
John. I have news for you. Your roommate for the Mid Mo cub fest is a $600- chain saw.

In the event we suffer a break in at the house, there is a box under the bed containing a rifle and shot gun. Make sure you shoot as or after the burglar enters the house. Missouri is a Castle Doctrine state.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed May 14, 2014 1:13 pm

Take too long to get to them, but you do not want to be within range of my cane. :lol: I got tired of running over and bending them, so instead of aluminum the ones I carry or now steal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed May 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Not sure if the wireless transmitter type would have the range needed or not!---battery/solar power might be needed to power very loud alarms once set off but might at least deter someone. thanks; sonny