This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rains have started!

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Rains have started!

Postby SONNY » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:21 pm

We got over .5" today so far and I got the onion plant order a couple days ago ---! 12 degrees for 2 nights in a row---snow, now we got rain and 33 degrees, so much for planting onions!---gonna be a rough spring to get anything planted around here. thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rains have started!

Postby Eoghan » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 am

Ditto here... Finally the ground is thawed, but it's so darn wet I don't want to mess with our heavy soil just yet. It's gonna be a late year for peas! Luckily I start my own onions so they can hang out in the greenhouse for a few more weeks (along with everything else). Tomatoes and peppers are starting to pile up in my den under the lights though.. 16 x 1204 flats so far and i can't move them outside because even the greenhouse has been cold lately.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Mar 29, 2014 2:11 pm

We ended up with .8 " of rain and ground WAY too wet to work,---dang wind 24-7 here at 20 to 35 mph,---snow cold with the wind making out door work hard!

Sounds like you have the same problem as I do, with plants!!LOL!!! I don't have near as many as you do but have run out of room to keep all of them in good shape!---most of mine right now are cabbage plants and will go in the ground as soon as frost danger permits.----2 of the cabbage plants are in 3 gallon pots and are in the front room window and at almost a foot tall are about ready to start making the heads!!
We harvested the cucumber from the front room at 4"length and it was VERY tender and tasty,--NOT a bit bitter either!! LOL!!!
Also have sweet tato plants 6" tall and excellent color and shape!
The T-5 grow lights have sold me on the way to start plants indoors!---I have tested many different plants under it, and then bought another one! BUT<BUT< BUT, WHERE to sit it up at!!! LOL!!! house is getting full of greenery!!!
Original plans were to start plants in batches then cycle them into the ground , or at least outside until planting conditions were favorable then start more!---THAT didn't happen this year!

Still working on the window garden cleaning up after the STHIL STORM hit!----Got 3 big trees cut down dangerously close to the house,--- and I been cutting/dragging/burning them to get rid of that mess!

Got the fruit trees fertilized for the spring, gotta spray dormant oil yet!---not much budding out here yet either so winter far from being over!
The soil testing is on hold temporary until I can walk on the wet fall plowed ground to get samples!---been figuring out the strawberries area,---need to thin the plants out, so decided to make the patch bigger! thanks; sonny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 pm

Last nights storm dumped 2.3" rain in about an hour,--It was a powerful fast moving storm with fierce lightning, thunder,wind--AND hail!
Did get 10 of the 30 bunches of onion plants "mudded in" before getting rained out the day before!---a couple days more drying and ground would have been fairly decent to work!---a bit wet, but workable,--NOW with more heavy rain in the forecast no telling when it will get dry again!---ground was getting hard on top because of the deep snow on it all winter and never got froze out!( so much for bug killing)!!!
Was running the cub field cultivator in front of the big tiller to break the crust, then munch it up with tiller!---worked good too!
Strawberries starting to wake up as is the rhubarb!
Are you guys on hold too??? thanks; sonny

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 am

its been raining here also. the ground is saturated, I think it seems to be about the same just about everywhere, its going to be a late season planting for me
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 am

Finally started here, we were pretty dry. 3.7 inches starting with April 1. Unfortunately, we got a little over an inch in 2 or 3 hours, and once the ground was soaked up, another 1.5 in 30 to 45 minutes, so a lot of that last part ran off. I have only seen the local creeks rise faster a couple times.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:32 am

Rain shower yesterday. Garden soil is still wet. Checked the cool season crops planted a week ago - nothing sprouting yet.

Planning on picking asparagus tomorrow. Got a nice bunch of spears just about ready to pick.

I might even get some asparagus to eat, depending on the quantity harvested. Asparagus is wife's favorite food behind mushrooms.

Edit: 1235 PM and it's rain showering. Wasn't forecast for today or next couple of days.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eoghan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14103
Tractors Owned: 1955 farmall cub w/ fast hitch
Implements:
fast hitch moldboard plow
fast hitch disc harrow
front blade
Danco c-3 mower

Postby Eoghan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:33 pm

finally got some nice weather around here and got the patch that I plowed in the fall disked, then hilled up the garlic that heaved out over the winter, planted peas (finally) and tomorrow carrots/parsnips/direct seed greens go in. my broccoli and cabbage are hardening off and waiting for the rest of the field to dry enough to run the plow. Wish i prepped more in the fall... we had such an early spring last year i got spoiled!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 pm

O. K.!----NOW I am SNOWED out from planting!!! jeeez---- Well at least I have gotten the other 20 bunches of onions planted!--total of 2,450 some plants in the 30 bunches!!!

After breaking the crust on the fall plowing with the cub/field cultivator, I then hit it with the Harley tiller and got pretty good tater field ready to plant!---got almost 3 rows 125 feet long planted before this storm hit!---I am now looking at snow piling up over the rows! LOL!----Virginia's sister just called an said we could get an inch of snow tonight!
I still have the dozer blade on the 917-H,( was pushing compost around with it and chunks of wood/brush from the front yard/garden ) so it will handle that amount if need be, I figure itt'l melt soon so I am not worried about that!
Ground was just starting to work up but still way too cold!---did plant a couple cabbage plants in the yard seat boxes, then double cover them just to see what they would do!---Have the 2 big pots in the greenhouse that has 14" tall cabbage plants growing in them!--- they look good and are starting to roll up heads and have good color, so we will see what they do.
Got the spray and spring application fertilizer on the fruit trees and fertilizer and herbicide on the onion rows.
Virginia found a commercial sweet tato plant supplier and ordered 500 plants for first 10 day of May delivery for us this year!---I have a few plants growing in trays, but not enough for what is needed!
I am really glad that I plowed in the dard last fall to get most all the ground turned over!! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”