Dehydrator, Comments and Recommendations

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:55 am

Glut of vegetables. Thinking about purchasing a dehydrator. Looking for comments, recommendations, and tips.

Re: Dehydrator, Comments and Recommendations

Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Nesco by American Harvest.....6 Trays... Dehydrator and Jerky maker....Walmart...About 50 bucks.....Awhile back....Works for us....We use it for everything especially " Sun dried roma tomatoes" and venison jerky....Dave

Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:02 pm

Thanks Dave.

I have looked over WalMart's selection. Price is right.

Next question, is there an economic value in dehydrating home grown vegetables?

Further suggestions or comments appreciated.

If/when I pick one up - considering the price of jerky - will have to discuss beef and deer jerky recipes.

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:29 pm

Eugene,
We bought an Excalibur a few years back - 9 drawers. Had the best reviews. Works great.
Cabelas units did not have great reviews at the time - not sure if they have improved.

Peter

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:17 am

Eugene wrote:I have looked over WalMart's selection. Price is right.

Next question, is there an economic value in dehydrating home grown vegetables?

Further suggestions or comments appreciated.

If/when I pick one up - considering the price of jerky - will have to discuss beef and deer jerky recipes.
We picked Walmart, for the price and so we could easily take it back if it didn't work....Luckily we never had to...Had it over 5 years...( Not a huge fan of Walmart, by the way)....

Economic value....Well we use dehydrated tomatoes alot in cooking and they are extremely expensive to buy pre-packaged....And jerky is out of sight also....We do alot of canning etc...The dehydrator has become part of our routine....Will be glad to post a jerky recipe....Wifey is still sleeping and I don't touch her recipe book :evil: ....Dave

Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:16 am

Eugene, Also we dry the majority of all our herbs etc for use during the year....Quality is way above store-bought and price is minimal ....

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Venison Jerky....Liquid smoke 1 3/4 tbs....Soy Sauce 4 tbs...Worchestshire 4 tbs....Ketchup 1 tbs....pepper 1/4 tbs...garlic powder 1/4 tbs...onion powder 1/4 tbs....salt 1/2 tbs....Slice thin and marinade it 24 hours...Dehydrate ( follow instructions for dehydrator, depending on type )....Goes good with :beer: Dave

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:48 pm

We also have the 9 drawer Excalibur, in this case I think you get what you pay for. I would highly recommend it.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:36 pm

The only thing we had luck with drying was onions and wolf river apples with ours!---havent used it for many years! thanks ; sonny

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:47 am

I wouldn't pay 200/300 dollars for a dehydrator till I found out if I liked the results....Of course you can always use an oven to try things out....If I had time I'd tell you about the Excaliber Limo Kit my friend had and Randy Travis's Chickens. :lol: ....Dave

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:46 pm

Purchased a mid price range Presto dehydrator from Target's web site. Digital timer and temperature control. Seems to work satisfactorily. Only thing I noticed is that the fan seems to have a bit more noise than I expected.

Made jerky, came out great. Messing around, dried some cherry tomatoes and cucumber chips. Cherry tomatoes came out great. Cucumber chips, bitter cucumber, went into the composter. Lesson learned, should have tasted the cucumbers before I tried turning them into chips.

Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Never tried cucumber chips.....Wife makes a lot of stuff to add into soups but no cuc's.....Will have to try that one....Dave