Re: Help on amending the soil

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

Very good advice Rudi. Also, consider your age. Good soil takes years of work. I had to start cutting mine back two years ago and will again this year.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Very interesting Rudi and thanks to all, for their advice.... :worthy: .....How this all came about is a rather long and boring story....I have touched on it slightly to explain the situation and knowing the experience available decided it was worth pursuing on the site....I have not been disappointed....Thanks to all who have rendered their advice with a positive approach...Dave :thanx:

Re: Help on amending the soil "update"

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:22 am

Well it rained and the roto-tilled soil drained perfectly....The Clayballs were about the size of Golf balls after the tilling and mixed up well with the decomposed horse manure... So yesterday I ran thru it with my little 4 cycle honda Mantis tiller....The ground was still a little damp in the afternoon and that Mantis spins like a banshee when it tills, so its now reduced to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch granules... Now to see how it finishes drying and if all is well, I'll add some coarse soil and till it in again....Then move along to the next step... Wait for the next rain.....So far so good...Should have time for a good cover crop....Just thought I'd update everyone.... :thumbsup: ...Dave

Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 am

Some more of the horse manure, tilled in, would help. (Not high enough in nutrients, to cause problems, but the organic matter, will help separate the clay granules, even more.) Ed

Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:06 am

Will do Ed.....