This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

City boy has a question

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

City boy has a question

Postby Jackman » Thu May 02, 2013 7:26 am

Was watching a couple of really big John Deere's pulling really wide moldboard plows through the corn fields , they did it with easy at a fairly good speed, the fields are big my guess over 1,000 acres, just curious do those plows heat up with all the friction from the dirt :?: , I know wierd thought but really thats a lot of friction and the plows looked like mirrors 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Re: City boy has a question

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 am

In all my years of educating farmers, I've never heard of plows heating up. The soil that the plows are moving is relatively cool and being constantly replaced so heat from friction is not an issue.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu May 02, 2013 11:43 am

Check your state's soil temperature charts.

Univ. Missouri has daily soil temperature charts at various depths, bare soil, 4 and 6 inches, for a number of locations around the state. Average soil temperature at the 6" depth in central Missouri was 61 degrees, on 1 May 13.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Never worked around big high speed rigs like that, but i doubt they heat up much more than our old 2 bottom behind the Farmall H did in our Mo. clay. After pulling it for an hour or 2 you could tell the point and molboard were a little warmer than the surrounding metal, but not by much. It would get a lot warmer just setting in the sun on a hot day. As Bill stated, the soil is cooler as you get a few inches down, and it would remove much of the heat created by friction.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Thanks fellas , just had to ask and knew there were some real farmers here on board with real life knowledge 8)

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”