This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Round up Ready Sweet Corn

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Round up Ready Sweet Corn

Postby BIGHOSS » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:29 am

An article appeared in our latest news letter from TN Farmers Coop about Round-up Ready sweet Corn. http://www.ourcoop.com/ourcoop08/headli ... artID=2786 At the present time, only fairly large quantities are available, but several could go in together and split the amount.

Just thought that this is interesting.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149

Re: Round up Ready Sweet Corn

Postby Jason (IL) » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:28 pm

We bought some Round up ready corn this year. It was good stuff, but cost a pretty penny. Something like $60 per pound I believe. Not sure if we'll get it again next year or not.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:30 pm

I would like to try some to see how it does. I think I read that the varieties available now also have the gene for corn earworm and other insect resistance. To me, that would be more of an advantage than the actual Roundup Ready.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:55 am

Super A wrote:I would like to try some to see how it does. I think I read that the varieties available now also have the gene for corn earworm and other insect resistance. To me, that would be more of an advantage than the actual Roundup Ready.

Al

I got a five pound sample (free sample) with the anti earworm gene several years ago. This corn is also tightly controlled as to minimum quanitity which I think was 25 pounds. At that time you also wern't suppoused to share a purchase either by sale or by giving away. I was told it was an EPA requirement. The gene comes from thuricide which is what organic farmers can use so a resistant strain of earworm would not be good for them. I didn't plant it my uncle did. I knew the seed corn guy he didn't. It worked and the corn was good corn but as far as I know he never planted it again. It was used for roadside sales where worm is a problem. This was about 8 years ago so the rules have probably changed by now. I prefer to use corn with a tight husk on the ear end and spray the silk just after it forms. We see very few earworm doing this and as nasty as they are we simply cut that portion out. This lets you have your favorite variety not what the seed company likes. I believe that hybrids are more vigorous and that Roundup and anti earworm varities are both open pollinated. Has anyone ever seen seed with both features? Whatever your method - may you have good eating. Vern

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:19 am

I can see using roundup ready corn if you are commercial with several acres, but for a garden plot I do not want roundup anywhere near my plants. About the only chemicals I let in my garden are things such as Sevin for insect control. I tried Preen which is supposed to prevent weed seeds from germinating in my tomatoes one year. It claims to work for 90 days, but apparently works longer than that. Garden seed planted in that part of the garden the next summer did not come up either. Yeah, I know I am old fashioned, but I prefer to keep chemical use to an absolute minimum.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 am

I don't spray any more than I have to, but with the right sprayer setup, one can be pretty accurate with Roundup. The way we garden the main advantage to RR sweetcorn would be the insect resistance anyway...

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:47 pm

The advantage to conventional sweet corn, is that it needs a cub, to cultivate it! I'm not a big fan of "playing God" (genetic modification, beyond standard hybridization) Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:02 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:The advantage to conventional sweet corn, is that it needs a cub, to cultivate it! I'm not a big fan of "playing God" (genetic modification, beyond standard hybridization) Ed

I have no real opinion one way or the other on GMO's but if they had to be labeled as such in the grocery store there wouldn't be much left. Consider that a large percentage of soy beans are roundup ready. How many foods contain bean oil? Sugar beets are another crop with a large GMO for roundup. Sweet corn has "Insect Guard". Corn is roundup ready. Seedless melons are ok since that is an odd hybridizing. Home grown also tastes better because it is grown to be eaten not for machine processing. Vern

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”