This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Racoons

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Racoons

Postby twotone » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:22 am

It looks like a bomb went off in my sweet corn patch. In over 20 years I have never had racoons in my garden. Must be the drought or something, but they're eating every kernal per ear. We're done with it this year so I really don't care, it's just a big mess to clean up every morning.

Tom
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

grasser
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46725
Tractors Owned: '47 Cub
'77 IH Cub
'49 Farmall C w/trip bucket loader
Dad's WD-45

Re: Racoons

Postby grasser » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:21 pm

I killed 28 raccoons (and 1 possum) at our garden this year. I started about 40 days before sweet corn harvest and had almost no days that I set my trap and didn't catch a coon. I kept thinking I'd quit catching them, but every morning before work I'd walk out with the .22 and there'd be one in the trap.

This taught me a valuable lesson. The reason they can ruin an entire corn patch is that there are tons of them. They don't get hunted like they used to as their value is almost $0.

I also played a radio at full volume next to the garden at night for the week or so that the ears were full and getting ripe.
Justin

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:44 pm

grasser wrote:I killed 28 raccoons (and 1 possum) at our garden this year. I started about 40 days before sweet corn harvest and had almost no days that I set my trap and didn't catch a coon. I kept thinking I'd quit catching them, but every morning before work I'd walk out with the .22 and there'd be one in the trap.

This taught me a valuable lesson. The reason they can ruin an entire corn patch is that there are tons of them. They don't get hunted like they used to as their value is almost $0.

I also played a radio at full volume next to the garden at night for the week or so that the ears were full and getting ripe.

You beat me, I've taken out only 17. No possums and 5 woodchucks.

I've been told our mild winter favored the coon population since normally about a third freeze. This left a very large breeding population. I'm sure several were this spring's.

I have for years run an electric fence around the perimiter of the garden which does a good job of keeping coons out. Jeanne traps coons for demolishing her bird feeders and feed. I then have to dispose of the coons. Vern

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 pm

the racoons got my corn also, and the rabbits got my sweet taters, better luck next year
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:05 pm

grasser wrote:I also played a radio at full volume next to the garden at night...

Do you think the corn had and "ear" for music? :lol:

We have county park land and wildlife all around us and the dogs do a good job of keeping the critter population at bay. Those who dare to venture beyond our fence have their carcasses laying at my back porch like trophies in the morning.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 pm

I use the red flashers, and a 300 watt quartz light close and above the corn field and this year I did lose 2 ears out of the 2,500 that we had so it did feel good to have plenty of nice ears!
The red flashers seem to help a lot to keep deers at bay too. Other vermin dont bother near as much.---also use the solar molers for voles and chipmunks , 1 yard guard sound type chaser and-----the 12 ga. for robins, starlings, blackbirds ,rabbits and anything else that moves! LOL! thanks; sonny

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:35 pm

My church owns the house next door and we have tenants in it. Raccoons got into the attic. It needed a new roof any way so we had all the valleys lined with metal under the normal snow and ice guard. They had gotten in at the end of a valley. The raccoons then attempted to pull down an inside corner of the sofit. The tenants wife caught and loaded the 2 offenders into a dog travel cage and called me. I came to get them. The husband asked me how far away i was planning to take them. I asked very innocently "why how soon do you want them back" I knew he understood by the way a light bulb seemed to go off. I said I will see if I can teach them to swim. Got good idea as an answer. In the big city you never know how people will react. Just got to let them see the whole picture before you give them the particulars.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:53 am

25 plus at my place...Neighbors say no coon problems this year...gee, I wounder why....Have not seen a coon in 2 weeks out at the coop and what corn did produce never got ate!!!! Might try a little harder on the corn next year,,,Usally 1/2 goes to the coons.This year none!!!!! When the creek is high I give swimming lessons......low,,,bullet test to see if it works!!! Kevin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:31 pm

Two years in a row with 95% sweet corn harvest. TSC sells electric fences. :D
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

richardbosart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77083

Postby richardbosart » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:47 am

I found some interesting posts on this website regarding trapping raccoons: http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/i ... opic=21355
I grew up in Central Texas and Johnny Pickle fur buyers would travel from town to town buying furs. He was from Jonestown, texas and we'd get about $20 a fur back then. Guess that's not the case anymore with all the laws, etc.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”