This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

looking for ways to put up squash

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety: Y

looking for ways to put up squash

Postby TexCub » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:16 am

Hello all! We've got a small garden with only about 4 squash plants, but they tend to grow pretty vigorously and we end up with more than we can eat for a very short time of the year. We intend on spacing the planting out a bit to have smaller doses for a longer period, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Have any of y'all had experience with putting up squash? We tried to cut an freeze it last year and the consistency / texture suffered a bit. Anyone have luck canning it? We thought it might get mushy like baby food if we tried it. Thanks for any input and I'll get a picture of the garden up soon

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Re: looking for ways to put up squash

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:40 am

Other than freezing shreaded zucchini, for making zucchini bread, I haven't found any way to put up summer squashes. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:05 am

We like to cook our squash in a black skillet with some onions and seasoned to taste. We will fix a big batch and freeze what we don't eat. We can then just throw them in the micro wave and a little heating and they are pretty good. Not as good as picking them straight out of the garden but in the dead of winter they taste pretty good and they don't get too soft. My wife also likes to make squash casseroles and freeze them. She about half cooks them, freezes them, then finishes cooking when she is ready to serve. Pretty good eating with ice on the ground.
I probably picked 30 to 40 pounds yesterday. Ate a bunch, froze a bunch and gave a bunch away, I can usually find some neighbors that will gladly take them.
Roy

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Funny you should mention, a co-worker was talking about canning squash the other day, but I didn't find out her technique. My mom and my mother in law both freeze a few. We like to eat them as Roy47 describes, and they don't do too bad this way. I think my mother in law cooks them completely and then freezes. My mom just cuts them up, blanches them, freezes, and cooks them when she wants to serve them. The texture isn't like fresh, but in the dead of winter they're pretty good....also IMO the yellow crook neck variety does better, seems like the straight necks come out sort of rubber-y, either fresh or frozen.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:46 am

we made squash patties and froze them, it is shredded squash, onion, shredded cheddar, an egg, spices to flavor and garlic. we bake them and freeze them

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316

Postby TexCub » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for the ideas, I think we may try all of the above! When squash is in full swing we can't keep eat enough to keep the pile picked squash down!

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”