This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pigeons ?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer
Circle of Safety: Y

Pigeons ?

Postby OliverFarmall » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:07 am

Anybody on the forum raise pigeons ? I was thinking that when I redo parts of our barn I could somehow add an area for pigeons. My father in-laws family ate sqab and it would seems pigeons foraging for themselves would be about the cheapest meat one could find.
I'm interested in any ideas as to how to properly build the nesting areas as well as breeds for meat that can fly (so they can fend for themselves).
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Pigeons ?

Postby Former Member » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm

MMgood. :big afro: Giant doves

They are very few and far in between here in TN. You would think thee would be a lot more, but we do have a lot of birds of prey.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:50 am

Yup, every hawk, in the county, will have your place in their GPS! Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:53 am

Hey, just put some window ledges in your barn; that seems to attract pigeons in downtown Cincinnati! There are plenty on the building across from my office, not sure the folks would take too kindly to me plinking at them though. :)

My fathers in law raised some at one time, don’t think for food, but not real sure why as I think about it. :?: He built a special aviary for them, but that was 20 or more years ago and he is gone and I don’t remember much about it.

Good luck with it, I hope you get some serious advice,
David

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:02 am

ScottyD'sdad wrote:Yup, every hawk, in the county, will have your place in their GPS! Ed

Can you send some of those hawks my way. I'm tired of shootin' the pigeons outta my rafters.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:28 am

Rats with feathers.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Ken (48 Cub)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40023
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1957 LoBoy

Postby Ken (48 Cub) » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

My Grandfather had a small coop for a while. I remember we would put a few in a cage and drive way down Dixie Hwy. (seemed like another country to me) and turn them loose. They would circle a few times until they got their bearings and then head for home. They would beat us home by a long shot. I don't think he ever ate any of them...at least not that I knew about :)
Ken, Annie the '48.

I think we gotter if'n she don't jump, Andy Griffith.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:56 pm

What about Quail?

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:04 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:What about Quail?

Raymond, Quail don't look anything like pigeons :headbang :headbang :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:16 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:

Raymond, Quail don't look anything like pigeons :headbang :headbang :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh:

They do to a hawk. Vern

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:

Hmmm, don't remember me saying that they did. Was just bring them up for the possibility of raising them instead of pigeons. Quite a few people in the south raise them for eggs, consumption and to sell to hunters.

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Just my warped sense of humor Raymond.

The one advantage to the pigeons over the quail that I can see, is the pigeons will always return to the roost, yet can go out and forage on their own, and may require less care.

Maybe?

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby OliverFarmall » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 am

Dale Shaw wrote:The one advantage to the pigeons over the quail that I can see, is the pigeons will always return to the roost, yet can go out and forage on their own, and may require less care.

That's exactly right.

I think we are too cold for quail here, unless they were something that was going to be fussed over all the time which is not my intention.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 am

It's good to be the King:
The neighbor acoss the way used to raise birds of all kinds back when I was a kid. If it had wings, he raised it. The breed you might want to think about are called "Kings" or "King" not sure which is the proper name. The way the story goes, as he told it, was that the breed was developed during the middle ages when castle warfare and laying siege to your neighbor was all the rage. Think "Ivanhoe" (filed in 1952 ). If your were surrounded, your pigeons could fly out past the enemy and feed and then return to roost at night. You could catch them and have a meat source. This breed is extremly fat and plump. They only fly short distances as we never saw them farther than the next barn over ( 150 feet ). They never went over to the house ( 500 ft away ), but could have any time they wanted. They are pure white in color and very nice to look at.

Coop:
It was about 10 X 10 feet and maybe 12 feet high at athe peak. It had a ladder to climb up into. the bottom was open for his peacocks. He had a ledge on the south side of his roost so they could keep cool in the summer and out of the harsh wind and rains of the winter ( our storms always come from the South ). The ledge was on a side that did not have a human walk through door ( plop! on you ). This ledge was in a way that disallowed birds of prey from dive-bombing his pigeons. The hole was small enough that a owl could not get in also. The coop was covered in metal siding. It was dog/fox proof. It was cat proof. Rat proof. Opussom and racoon proof. He had stick or rod that he could use to slide the door shut after sundown so he could go in a catch one when he needed to. Sorry no pics. He passed away and the place sold to a Jerk, so I could never go back over there again now.

Good Luck.
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby OliverFarmall » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info/story !
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow