This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Nut planting

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

New Nut planting

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:31 pm

Just planted 18 nut trees from Burgess seed and plant co..--We stopped in there a couple days ago to see if they have the seed racks out or not and they did, so while getting a few seed varieties that we didnt have, we looked at the bare root trees they had in stock, found some nice ones and bought some!---took 2 days to dig all them holes in the 35 mph wind and the 1/2" rain we had to go with it! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Nut planting

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 pm

Sonny, What kind of nuts, and how many years before a harvest?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

4 northern varieties of pecans, 6 chestnuts, 2 hazelnuts, 2 almonds, 2 butternuts. 2 carpathian english walnuts.

All are supposed to grow wherever peaches will survive,--We got peaches here!--so decided to go for nuts!
The almonds could bear in 2 years,--chestnuts and hazelnuts could start when trees are 4 to 6 feet tall.---english walnuts 5 to 7 years, (bout like grapes), not sure on butternuts or pecans!
Kinda late in life for me to start nut trees but its something I alys wanted to try, so its now or never! LOL!!! thanks; sonny

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:29 am

I'm trying to track down about a dozen butternut tree's to plant this year myself. My grandparents had butternuts and we used to get half a cent apiece to pick them up and put them in buckets. Then Nana would count them and pay us and take us down and get penny candy. :)
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 am

Butternut and pecans should start producing nuts in 15 to 20 years. I have 3 mature butternut trees on the acreage - but they are suffering from butternut canker disease.

I order/purchase seedling tree bundles from the state nursery. Inexpensive compared to purchasing more mature trees from commercial outlets. I normally plant 75 to 100 seedlings each year.

Suggest checking with your State’s Dept of Conservation to determine if and what is available. Link to Missouri’s nursery offering, below.

http://mdc.mo.gov/landwater-care/landow ... order-form

Down, near the bottom of the page is a PDF 2011-2012 seedling order catalog with prices.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”