This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Treestand Attention

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

Treestand Attention

Postby ricky racer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:02 pm

Well, Goraidh's post about the sap flowing got my attention. These days most of my bowhunting around home is done from ladder stands. The older I get more I like ladder stands. They are pretty cheap when you pick them up after the hunting season, most are just right for the height I like to hunt and I can leave them up all year. Other than being kind of a pain to move from location to location when needed (although now I use my Cub most of the time and drag it behind me if I need to move it far) they take less effort to put up than a hanging stand. Anyway, since I leave them up all year, I make it a habit to go out early in the spring and loosen the straps or chains that secure them to the trees. Once the sap starts flowing the trees start growing and if I don't loosen the straps the trees will grow enough in that I won't be able to get the straps loose in the fall and the tree will start to grow around the straps. Today was a nice day so after Church I took the Cub for a walk through the woods and tended to my treestands. Great way to spend a hour or two in the spring like weather we've had the last few days.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Treestand Attention

Postby Yogie » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 pm

Real good tip Rick, I do about the same thing using pole ladders and removing the stands. I have a couple ladder stands that I practice out of but never used for hunting yet. Gray Cub has problems with hights so they play a part as he gets older I'm sure.
Thanks !
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”