This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Ridge Till

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Ridge Till

Postby SONNY » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Has anyone tried ridge till in the garden?---My plowing job looks more like ridge till, so I may try a few of the ridges on one side of the garden and see what happens!--If its another dry year,--it wont work but if its cold and wet early it may get plants off to a faster start and most of their growing will be done before the super hot dry hits!
I can work the rest of them down with the big tiller as I normally do.----should catch a lot of water over the winter and freeze out some of the bugs down deep! thanks ; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Re: Ridge Till

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:42 pm

Sonny: I made some ridges 2 years ago using 82% N covering disc. I made them about 4" tall and by the time spring rolled around they were only about 2" tall. I guess they were just a smidge dryer, but I never planted in them. The thought occurred to me that with ridges and no herbicide, weed control would be more difficult. Greg

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Ridge Till

Postby SONNY » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm

We would have to go heavy on the herbicides to control weeds as it would kinda be like min.-till which requires more chems. so the ridges stay higher!-----will see how the winter treats us and make final decision in late spring when ground gets workable! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”