This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oakwood TEXAS... need garden tips

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bakers Acres
10+ Years
10+ Years

Oakwood TEXAS... need garden tips

Postby Bakers Acres » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:34 am

Hello I live in Oakwwod Texas and we are sort of new to this area. We tried a large garden the past two yeas, and we have nothing but problems with it.
I am from OH so gardening there is much different.
Any clues as to why I never get onions bigger than a plum,
Cucumber plants die, and my corn won't get higher than 3 foot?
Here is the list of what we had last year: (or tried to have) next to it how it turned out for us..
Cucumbers - not more than 4 were harvested
Eggplant -1 small eggplant from 6 plants
Okra- whole seed pack -yeields 1sm bowl of okra
Corn- not 1 ear of corn
carrots- WE GOT LOTS OF CARROTS - bumper crop
potatoes- WE GOT LOTS- BUMPER CROP
tomatoes- WE GOT LOTS - BUMPER crop
green pepper- 6plants and only 2 small peppers
green beans- just withered and died- no beans
jalepenos - had a small harvest but happy with it.

Any helpful hints or advice is appreciated. Any ideas on what we are doing wrong?
Thanks
D.Baker

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

First of all....

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:44 am

Welcome to the FarmallCub.com website....the place of the best minds on Farmall Cubs you can find. (Present company - that being myself excluded). These folks really know their Cubs and a whole lot more.

Now, here's my advice on your crop problem: Get with your local Ag extension agent and have a soil test performed. You're only guessing at what is there in the soil without it. Since potatoes and tomatoes are both in the nightshade family, that would explain why they do so well and not some of the other plants. Again, get a soil test done, and have your Ag extension agent help you figure out what is wrong. Here in NC, most of that stuff is free, and they are more than willing to help out.

Good Luck, and let us know the results.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:24 pm

Welcome "Bakers Acres" as Rick said, a soil test is in order and I'd guess it's going to show you need to neutralize your soil somewhat and add nutrients. But as Rick stated, your local ag extension agent is the man to talk to. Or visit a local plant / garden nursery for some advice. But the soil tests will be the proof.

I am going to move your post over to the Farm Life Discussion board on this index. It will have a better chance of being seen by those who can help you.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:00 pm

I am wondering if you have a Farmall or IH cub since you did a post on the cub forum. If you do have a cub you need to contact Donny M who also posts from Oakwood. He is an excellent source for info on cub tractors. I don't know if they garden but suspect that they will have one. Dan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Feb 10, 2005 1:12 pm

Staten island NY is a far way from Texas but i wonder if you looked at the roots of your short corn? Could be root Worm. Egg Plant, tomatoes and peppers are related so that confuses me. do you have full sun? Was there a drout? was there too much rain? What type soil do you have, sandy, clay, rocky as well what was it's former use before you tried to gwarden on it? You don't necessarily have to lay it out here but these are question you should be able to answer to your county agent so he can best help you.. That soil test is really necessary after your experience.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Joey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70403

Postby Joey » Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:11 pm

I'm a horticulturist with the LSU AgCenter in Hammond and I agree with what the others are saying: do a soil test. The most common problem is soil pH - if the level is too high or too low, the nutrients cannot be taken up, even if there is enough. Various crops performed differently because they have different requirements. Another problem may be low organic matter content. I sugget you look at the following website and contact an agent from the extension service.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:53 pm

One more point that I haven't seen mentioned yet: Pay close attention to the varieties you plant. I moved to north central Texas after growing up in western New York and had to start from scratch on varieties. I still have major gardening failures. But you should have peppers 'til you don't know what to do with them. Get a recommended variety list from your county extension office. Just because they sell the seeds or plants in the local Home Depot doesn't mean they are a good choice for the area.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:50 pm

Mr. Baker,

We moved to Oakwood last June so I have no experience with a garden as of yet. I've been planning one for this year and am interested in your success as well as your failures. We should get together and talk Cubs or what ever. Contact me by e-mail and we can gang up on the Ohio boys :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:07 pm

My yard is so small, I could not turn the cub around without hitting something, so not a lot of room for a garden. The good news is that everything grows like crazy here. I have the advantage of great soil and decent rainfall.
If I had to guess, I would say that several of the varieties are heavy feeders (like corn) and moisture also be a problem. The folks are right about the local ag extension.... The state extension service at A&M is a good start too
http://texasextension.tamu.edu/

If asparagus grows down there, that is the BEST crop. Plant once, harvest forever!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Thu May 19, 2005 9:10 pm

There is an extension agent in Palestine and I will find his name and # when I get back to Jacksonville. I will be passing through Oakwood late Sunday night so Monday sometime I will have an answer for you. Our county agent over here in Cherokee Cty is always ready to come to your place and set you up and I know the one over in Anderson Cty will be glad to do the same. We don't use the agent here except for little plots as, like 2 and 3 acr gardens we use a professional from A&M for the big fields as a consulant.
Welcome to Texas and you can throw away the snow packs, snow blowers, and chains.
capt jack scurlock
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu May 19, 2005 10:04 pm

Jack,
We're in Leon County. The county extension agent is Dawn Egan. She can be reached at 903.536.2531 or http://leon-tx.tamu.edu
8)

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Thu May 19, 2005 10:59 pm

Okay, how about letting the other Oakwood cub guy know. thanks
jack
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”