This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hickory King Corn

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Hickory King Corn

Postby SONNY » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 am

Last year late, I went ahead and planted my Hickory King corn and It did manage to get sorta pollinated so there were a few good filled ears in the patch.--the other day I was going thru the 10 foot tall stalks, when I found some missed ears that had stood all winter, so I picked and shelled them. ---got another quart of shelled corn in the process.
We did a test to see if we could skin the kernels and make some hominy!---it works, except we still gotta figure out a better way to get the skins off!

This was the first batch skinned and after cooking up tender doubled in this size making some tasty eating after adding milk, flour to thicken the milk, adding salt/pepper/butter to it.
The Hickory King and Blue Hopi flour corn can be used also as OP roastin' ears if anyone is into that!---We like the hybrids for our sweetcorn---some prefer the old time stuff! this was used for probably thousands of years in the milk stage for eating,---then later as it dried for flour and cornmeal.
I want to plant a small isolated patch of the White Hickory King this year if I am able. thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Re: Hickory King Corn

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:20 am

Make you a lye hopper and save ashes to make lye to remove the hulls. :D
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Tom Gregory
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Tom Gregory » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:30 am

Try this site. There are a lot of old time ideas there.

http://www.mtnlaurel.com/mailbox.htm
Three & 1/2 Cubs (one runs), Farmall H and 850 Ford.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks for the input, guys!---looks like we didnt soak the corn long enough, (we used lime as a sub for ahses), and probably not enough in the water!---we will try another small batch and do a longer soak time to see how that goes!(looks like at least a 3 day soak time is needed!)---Hominy is good, just a lot of work getting the skins off the kernels!
We are always open to suggestions!--LOL! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”