This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Winter wheat????

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

Winter wheat????

Postby ToddW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:22 am

I have 2 food plots for deer that equal about 3/4 acre total right now.
Was a very wet year here, so I could not get the cub out to the high ground where my plots are.

I mowed the growth from last years plot (rye grass re-seeded) I used a spike tooth drag with my 6 wheel ATV to rough up the soil in August. I planted all turnip. It came in great, but the deer mowed it all down WAYYYY before they were supposed to even like it!!!

now it's just rye grass that they are grazing on.
I'm thinking about trying winter wheat, I hear it's good for adding nitrogen to soil, but wanted to confirm that (i thought peas or beans added nitrogen, but they would most certainly never grow out there because they would be eaten immediately).

If it's no-till wheat, how would /should I plant it?
Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Winter wheat????

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:55 am

Todd,

How thick is your stand of rye? If it's not too thick, I would just overseed with the wheat. May be a little late in your location for good germination, though.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:15 am

It's about 2-3 inches high, not as thick as a really lush lawn, some bare spots.
Maybe overseeding won't hurt anything just to try it.

I've seen it being planted on large farms in the last 2 weeks around here.

Just broadcast over the ground for me? I have no grain drill, and cub getting out there this year is a no go due to mud on areas all across my land from approach from road.
Maybe next year, now I have a loader, I can get loads of bark chips dumper near road, plan is to use loader to disperse wood chips.
DNR has no issue with chips because they are not fill the effects a lowland flood plain..
Next Summer then I can get back to my plots with a cub, and start rototilling!!

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:16 am

Winter Wheat will NOT add nitrogen to your soil. In fact it's usually recommended to top dress winetr wheat with nitrogen at "green up" stage. 15 pounds of Nitrogen is recommended on average and should be broadcast before planting.
Not sure about your planting question... if you have access to the no till drill use it. You need to get rid of the rye as best you can first. If you are saying you don't have the no till drill.... use your harrow to really rough up the ground and you can broadcast winter wheat...ideally seeds should be 1.5 to inches deep...,. so harrow the heck out of it first you want a smooth bed. Broadcast your seed and then go over it again with the harrow or better yet a cultipacker if you have one. Seed rate would be about 90 pounds an acre where I live if I were seeding it down ... if I was broadcasting it I'd up that rate.
Legumes add nitrogen to the soil...if you are looking at planting a fall legume look at crown vetch... or what I'd do is plant the winter wheat, harvest it in the spring, flip it and plant buckwheat, the deer will love your buckwheat ( I hate the deer) and it will add to your soil the most bang for your buck.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 am

My question was if winter wheat will improve the soil for other crops, like turnip, next year.
Guess that has been answered.

The turnips I planted this year did not last past 1 inch high

I used my cub to establish plots for a friends land. First year food plot, and his turnips look great . Size of large apples already
I have no sign of turnips now

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:22 am

sow som black eyed peas, they may still come up and better for the land and deer. just buy a few packs from food lyon or wally world, not a lot of cost involved. soak the seads before broadcasting
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:19 am

I planted winter wheat and using it for a couple of reasons.Its coming along real nice.I had a neighbor that has a grain drill and planted it for very low cost.He was doing his fields also.I'm finding that timing is everything.Kevin Does not hurt to help out at his place once in a while either. :shock: :shock:
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Dirtdoc74
Cub Star!
Cub Star!
Zip Code: 47037

Postby Dirtdoc74 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:02 pm

Todd: Seems like you are pretty wet at the moment. If your plot is muddy, winter wheat wouldn't do to well. Generally likes dry ground and packed in tight. Another option would be to wait until March and sow some clover down. Just broadcast on top of the ground and the last freezing and thawing will plant it for you. Will also make a great green manure crop and add nitrogen so you can plant your turnips next fall. If you don't have a soil test, I'd highly recommend it so you know what your fertility level is on the patch. Hairy vetch is also a great cover crop. Good luck..Greg

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”