This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Field Tuff Planter

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184
Circle of Safety: Y

Field Tuff Planter

Postby BigMatt » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:09 am

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24550
Tractors Owned: 1952 F Cub

Re: Field Tuff Planter

Postby markwayne » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:27 pm

That seems a bit pricey. You don't really need one that has its own wheeled draw bar, that's for lawn and garden tractors I think. Since a cub has (can have) tool bars and depth control you can mount Lehman, Midwest, Earthway or other small planters on the bar. The best choice I think would be the old favorite Planet Jr. made by Cole, not cheap but good. The Cole planters have a toolbar mount available from the factory, but I have seen adapters with a floating feature, that mount the walk behind planters to a draw bar. I have seen them mounted in gangs to plant wide beds. If I find the source for the adapters I will come back and edit this. but you could make your own :)
grandpops 52 Fcub #151651, 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 174 runner planter, Type C Duplex hopper, 53 Fertilizer Unit, front/mid mount blade, IH but non Cub 4 foot disc, non IH peg tooth harrow, and one of the infamous and much maligned belt pulleys.

Jimdawg
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02748

Postby Jimdawg » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 am

You didn't mention what you plan to plant or the quantity, but as an owner of the earthway precision seeder I can attest to the speed of this tool. It plants at walking pace and the hopper is large enough (larger really) for a single crop than I plant at a single time. Since the planter is not connected to the tractor, it is easy to flip over and return remaining seeds into their packets. If you are looking to plant easily and quickly for a backyard or small market garden, I recommend the Earthway seeder, however if you're looking for more seat time you might try fabricating a seeder to your tool bar as markwayne suggests. I have considered many of his ideas, but can't justify the time right now because it works just fine the way it is.

Happy gardening,

Jim

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby markwayne » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 am

True enough its not worth the time to mount the seeders unless you have a lot to do. With about an acre to 1.5 acres the planting with the Duplex planter seems to go by in an eye blink for me compared to the rest of the work. Those Earthway's have a big following and you can find lots of tips and how to's on the net for them. I have been considering getting one myself to plant the small seeds my mounted planter cant handle or I don't have plates for or to avoid the hassle of changing things to plant one row.

Check out tinyfarmblog.com :tractor:
grandpops 52 Fcub #151651, 193 plow, 144 cultivators, 174 runner planter, Type C Duplex hopper, 53 Fertilizer Unit, front/mid mount blade, IH but non Cub 4 foot disc, non IH peg tooth harrow, and one of the infamous and much maligned belt pulleys.

BigMatt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 46163
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub "Moe"
1950 Farmall M
1978 IH 184
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby BigMatt » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 am

The reason I am looking at something bigger is that I am thinking about 3 acres of sweet corn and 2 acres of pumpkins. I might mount the Earthway seeder to a bracket if I don't find anything else by planting time.

markwayne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby markwayne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:37 am

That's getting on up there in acres. I remember my grandfather and i planting that much by hand. When he had a planter for the Cub in the shed. I didn't know that at the time, I found the planter after he died. Still a bit miffed about that. :x Since you have a considerable amount to do you might consider a Cub 17x mounted planter. One of the members might have one for sale.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”