This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grandpa's old 22 pump rifle

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Grandpa's old 22 pump rifle

Postby BigBill » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:20 am

I shot my grandfathers old 22 pump rifle once and i liked it. After the many years passed i have no clue who ended up with it. After searching at gun shows and seeing the old pump 22 rifles that are priced at $750 and higher i never thought i would have one of my own. I found a winchester pump model 1890 22cal that takes shorts-longs-long rile rounds at an affordable price. then he also had a 1906 remington 22 pump rifle too that took s/l/lr too. I got both. These are like the old shootin gallery pumps we once shot at the old carnivals, remember?

With the new grandson here i figured i'd get him a few toys. I want him to have a 22 in lever action, a 22 bolt action and a 22 rolling/block rifles too. I need to get him a 243win rifle too. I hope i'm around long enough to see him shoot his first deer.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Grandpa's old 22 pump rifle

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:45 pm

The gallery at the amusement park that I frequented as a boy used Winchester Model 62A rifles. Pump action with an exposed hammer. Always wanted one. They're in the $800 to $1000 range now.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:30 pm

You guys know how to make someone smile. Those are great little rifles along with many more of its time. :D

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:35 pm

I have a couple Henry pump 22's Bill that are really sweet. I also have a few of there lever action 22's
Their a little pricey, but their value just keeps climbing.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Old guns are like old cubs around here out of my pocketbook range.

Jim

BohemianJon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49127
Tractors Owned: Farmall 130

Postby BohemianJon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:07 am

Yeah, those are neat old rifles. I've got a old Winchester model 1890 that takes shorts only as per what is on the barrel. Interesting, the serial numbers on the various parts don't match and I did some research...was told that those old shooting galleies cleaned their rifles about once or twice a year and when they did they did 'em "all at once"...took 'em all apart...put the various parts in separate piles...cleaned everything and then just put 'em back together and didn't pay any attention to matching up the serial numbers. If your old shooting galley rifles have matching serial numbers they are even more valuable...I was told that they would be a least double those that don't have matching numbers.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:43 am

Both my pumps were under $500 each. I never seen them this low in price. The winchester 1890 also comes in 22 shorts only and in 22 longs only but mine takes either 22 shorts, longs or long rifle rounds and so does my 1906 model 12 remington takes all three 22 rounds too. My rifles are all matching and they have round barrels. the octagon barrels are $100 more and up. These guns range between $600 to $800 and some i have seen are double that too. Some can be found cheaper too on some guns for sale sites too.

I found a Stevens Crackshot/Favorite single shot 22 rifles that i may get for my grandson too. Then he needs a 22 bolt and a 22 lever action. I figure as he gets older he'll have to learn every style of action and how it operates then as he gets bigger he will be ready to shoot anything big bore after that. I'm doing this now incase i pass on you never know what can happen. This way the grandson will have some guns to start off with. My son laughs at me but i told him someday he'll take the kid to our camp with the 22's and blast some empty soda cans. Of course he'll shoot the bb gun first.
Last edited by BigBill on Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:47 am

Jim Reid wrote:Old guns are like old cubs around here out of my pocketbook range.

Jim

I know what you mean. I been looking for many years for a winchester 22cal pump rifle but everyone i found was priced out of my price range. Now i'm on the fence about getting the octagon barreled 22's because there much higher priced over the round barrels. But i'd like to add a few to my 22 collection. I figure collecting the 22's is as far as i'm going to go. I wanted my grandads old 22 win pump forever, ever since i shot it and now i have it.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”