This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Something's in the sweet corn...

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Something's in the sweet corn...

Postby Barnyard » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:30 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:
Don McCombs wrote:Something's been in my corn, too. Fortunately, it was ME. :D First corn of the season for dinner tonight.

As far as the intended topic, we use Liquid Fence. It's not cheap, but it does the job.

Just getting your first corn, now? I had my first, just before leaving, for the Tug! (wasn't the good stuff, that started last week) Ed

You folks who were at the Tug early enough to to enjoy Cecils chicken had the chance to have some of our sweet corn.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:01 pm

Bill, don't forget I live in the mountains. Frost in about 60 days. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Goraidh (Jeff)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04236
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub "Jessie"
'64 Cub "Alex"

Postby Goraidh (Jeff) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Critters are extremely adaptive, so changing up your deterrents on a regular basis is important to success. I try to change up and move my deterrents around once a week anyway. Seems to work pretty well.
'49 Cub (#77786) "Jessie"
"64 Farmall Cub (#224657) "Alex"
Woods 42C-6
C-3 mower
Cub 54 Blade
193 Moldboard plow
Cub L-38 disc harrow
Cub-144 Cultivator
Cordwood Saw

Darin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47250
Tractors Owned: 1975 Cub
1953 Super A
1998 New Holland 3930

Postby Darin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:49 am

Hey DarinO, I think it is squirrels eating your corn. Coons ride the corn down to the ground, usually. Take a hot lazy weekend day and set in the shade with .22, watching over your garden. It is about the only way I've found to eliminate those little tree rats.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:31 am

I had some later maturing ears on some of my corn and have noticed that the VOLES have moved back into that area of the farm and promptly invaded the corn!---YES they do climb up the stalks and chew on the ends of the ears, shredding the shuck down as they go.--they also climb up into the apple trees and hack the ripe sweet side of the apples just before they get ripe too!---must be a heck of a ride when they cut the stem off while they are sitting on the apple and hit the ground!
Chipmunks are also a problem in my garden this year too and they too will shred the corn ears!---The tooth marks on the ears show mine to be VOLE and chipmunk damage so these could also be your un-seen --no- trackin' varmints too! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”