This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Chainsaw Sharpening

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Chainsaw Sharpening

Postby grumpy » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:12 pm

Scrivet wrote:Have tried the file, dremel, and Harbor Freight grinder sharpener. All work fine and have strengths and weaknesses. I do a lot of small tree/brush clearing and am constantly dulling the chain. Got an Oregon Powersharp bar and chain for Christmas. It has a totally different style of chain and a grinding stone that attaches to the tip of the bar when you are ready to sharpen it. In a couple seconds the chain is sharp. I have used it a couple times already and am quite impressed. How well it holds up over time is yet to be seen.
http://www.powersharp.com/

Tried getting a $ on the setup but no luck online. Being that you would have to have a special bar and chain with a dresser link and the sharpener I would think it would be a good bit. McCulloch used to have a built in sharpener that worked but really shortened the chain life. Interesting set up for sure. How does yours hold up as far as the wear on the chain and stone? Thanks Grump

Edit: I should have read the part where you said how well it holds up is yet to be seen. :oops: Keep us posted down the road though. Thanks Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:18 pm

grumpy wrote:Tried getting a $ on the setup but no luck online. ..........

Used it again today the only draw back I see so far is it doesn't like really small (pencil size) brush/limbs. They will hang in the chain and then my saw won't spin the chain so I have to pull the saw away rev it and then touch the limb.

Pricewise I think the chain/stone combo is about $30 and the starter kit chain/bar/stone is about $70.

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:37 am

Not bad price wise. Thanks. Have a neighbor that just got a huskvarna 450 and his is terrible with small limbs,(most are unless running full speed) checked it out and the chain cutter links are really far apart. Thanks again. Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:20 pm

serious chain saws are not much good on small limbs. You need one of the small trimmer type saws for that.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

crowdaddy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49071

Postby crowdaddy » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:20 pm

I use a Stihl o38, with a 24" bar. It gets gripped in a vice, and a Stihl electric sharpener, sometimes attached to a charger, sometimes to a battery if I'm in the field and spending the day. I follow the angle provided on each tooth, do it by eye, use reading glasses and wait until the fine line appears on the tooth before I quit that tooth. Then I touch that guide everyone is talking about, a couple times to make sure it is being worn at the same speed as the tooth.

I have found that the extra length on the bar keeps my face out of the work area, and is also easier to cut downed stuff as I don't have to bend over as far. I recently started carrying the little boss Stihl when I'm tired and want more wood and some tops. One of my favorite things about the o38 is if it is February and -10 below, and I'm desperate for wood, that saw will start. Very dependable.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”