This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dont you hate it

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Dont you hate it

Postby John(videodoc) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:16 pm

I have been feverishly cutting and splitting wood trying to clean up the 40 some trees i dumped in front of the barn last October. Well i was hauling off limbs yesterday to dump over the hill, and a board i had thrown on board to also get rid of, had a screw in it, fell out. as i drove by it, i thought to myself, i should stop and get that. "Naw, i get the atv out tomorrow and get, lets keep going as everything is going well." Well wouldnt you know it today, towards the end of the job i drove right over it, as it had gotten covered up by leaves. Now i have a flat tire Then, i shut off the tractor to call the puppy back, as he was off the chain. Went to start it up, and nothing. Battery is good. or reads at 10.8. SO there it sits on the hillside. Nothing. ended up having to move big chuncks of walnut 150lbs or better into a trailer and move to the splitting pile.

1. think the battery low would have anything to do with it? Never replaced it, 5 yrs old. Model 3525 mahindra, 3 cyl disesal
2. or do think the safety switches on the pto, high/lo, transmission, are bad?

john

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Re: Dont you hate it

Postby Gary Dotson » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 am

Charge the battery, John. 10.8v is basically dead, should read 12.5v or so. You're going to need to check out your charging system.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:07 am

Once the battery is charged have it checked. Since it is five years old it may be reaching the end of it's life span.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:06 am

So even though i got lights, horn, etc, probably a cut out switch or similiar item in the circut, if 12 volts not available sends the signal to ground?

kinda funny how it started an hour before just fine, and then hour later nothing......]

pretty bad when i have to go to the SHOP manual to find out where the battery is. Its behind the bug screen on the front grill. Duh.... :D

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 am

John(videodoc) wrote:...think the battery low would have anything to do with it? Never replaced it, 5 yrs old...

John(videodoc) wrote:...pretty bad when i have to go to the SHOP manual to find out where the battery is...

If this is the first time you have had to get to the battery it pretty much tells us the battery has not been serviced in five years. If this is the case make sure all your connections are also clean.

John(videodoc) wrote:kinda funny how it started an hour before just fine, and then hour later nothing.....

Many times something will be fine one moment, then not working. Everything has a point to where it just stops working.

As for the lights and horn, they can still work but you may need the full battery power to turn the engine over.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:23 am

John(videodoc) wrote:So even though i got lights, horn, etc, probably a cut out switch or similiar item in the circut, if 12 volts not available sends the signal to ground?

kinda funny how it started an hour before just fine, and then hour later nothing......]

pretty bad when i have to go to the SHOP manual to find out where the battery is. Its behind the bug screen on the front grill. Duh.... :D
If the lights go out when you try to start, you have a weak battery or bad connection. If they stay on, check safety switches, starter relay, fuses, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 am

Those dang switches. A contractor used my Kubota in my yard with my permission, it snowed about 15 inches and I went out to start it. No-go. Just loved working out in the yard in the snow and cold with a voltmeter. Eventually I towed it into the heated garage where I spent some time tracing safety switches. The one I missed was the PTO switch. The operator had engaged the PTO for some reason and I never noticed it. At least it was a good excuse to do my 300 hour service.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Well i went out this am, prepared to take battery off and just go buy a new one. but she started right up. Charging indicator should a could level. So i plugged the tire. And went right to work this morning with it. will keep an eye on it.

cyriaque
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 72555
Tractors Owned: farmall cub

Postby cyriaque » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:18 am

Don't forget to check the water in the battery. It will keep it from charging well or holding a charge if it is low.
Charles

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”