This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

heirloom Punkins & gourds (pictures added)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

heirloom Punkins & gourds (pictures added)

Postby smigelski » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 pm

I have been growing pumpkins and gourds on a small scale for a few years. Waiting till I have all the bugs worked out before I bet the farm on them. I have noticed that some of the seeds are hard to come by or expensive for a small amount. I have been saveing seed and replanting for a few years. I have learned that I am getting a better yield each year. I think it is from 2 reasons. I am keeping the seeds from only the best fruit. second the plants are getting use to my climate and soil. My question to everyone is. If you are interested I could put a seed packet together of mixed gourds and pumpkins for people. Only charge a few dollars to cover shipping and the envelope. My kids and relatives love to pick the different colored gourds and different types of pumpkins. They are really neat to see, but alot of people don't grow them, because they either can't get the seed or it is to expensive. I will post a few pictures this week. If you are interest just reply, so I know how much seed to save.

These are bottle gourds, used to make bird houses, these are small ones that will be sold this fall, the big ones will stay and dry out, then become bird houses next summer

This is a crate of small gourds, mixed variety. I picked 4 crates of them

a few crates together

A few crates of small pumpkins

Last but not least, my helper was plumb wore out after a few hours in the pumpkin patch
Last edited by smigelski on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Re: heirloom Punkins & gourds

Postby beaconlight » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:42 am

Sounds interesting. I have plenty of room and never grew gourds.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30102
eBay ID: staasee
Tractors Owned: no Cub : (

Re: heirloom Punkins & gourds (pictures added)

Postby Miss Farmall » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:44 pm

very cool to see. would be interested however not sure if they would grow well here, or for me?
Just call me coconut... Blonde on the inside!
I'd suggest you just stop talking and walk away lest I forget I was raised to be a lady.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: heirloom Punkins & gourds (pictures added)

Postby SONNY » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 pm

Gourds are nice if you have a use/room/market for them!--looks like you had a nice crop of good quality fruits there, so it should give you an excellent start to expand on!
I too have always thought that if you saved your own non-hybrid seed that over a few years the plants would be more adapted to local climate and soil conditions! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”