This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need your favorite Ice-Cream recipe

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Need your favorite Ice-Cream recipe

Postby Kodiak » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:03 pm

Now that I went and made the Ice-Kreme Kub attachment I need some new recipes for making different flavors of Ice-Cream. I have the old standards but wanted to hear any that are slightly "different" or that you really love :D

Thanks
Ron W.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Re: Need your favorite Ice-Cream recipe

Postby Hengy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 pm

OK... Now we are talking about MY area of expertise...

Are you talking about different flavors or different recipes for Ice Cream mix?? I can help on all counts!!!! Just let me know!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

spiveyman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29644

Postby spiveyman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Dad's been looking for his favorite recipe for a while now - he lost it somewhere along the way. Mom said he has an AWESOME recipe for Cheerwine ice cream. Said my sister and I used to eat it up when we were little, but I dont remember it. I hope he finds it soon because I want to try it. If he does I'll shoot it your way !!! :{_}:
Andrew Spivey

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

'49 Cub.....(Mr. Cub)

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:50 am

OK, Mr. Kodiak.... Here is Mike Hengelsberg's super secret AWESOME ice cream recipe from the formulation labs at Main Street Ingredients in La Crosse, WI....

Once you have THIS ice cream, you won't never want to have another!! You might have to go to the store and get some ingredients, but it is WORTH IT!

Batch size: 1 gallon of mix - should yield 1.5 gallons of ice cream, depending on air incorporation...

Ingredients

Milk (Whole Milk) - 1/2 gallon
Cream (whipping) - 1/3 gallon (I would use a quart and a half...this is PREMIUM STUFF!!)
Carnation Instant Milk - 1/4 Pound
Sugar - 1 pound
Karo Corn Syrup (light) - 1 pound (NOT 16 fl. Oz... you have to weigh it!)
Egg Yolks (beaten) - 1-2 each (more will give a creamier texture)
Xanthan Gum (available at most grocery stores...sold by Bob's Red Mill) - 2 teaspoons (optional...but it WILL make it better!!!)

Directions: Separate and beat egg yolks. Discard whites. Weigh up all ingredients. Xanthan Gum and a portion of sugar in a ziplock bag and shake to blend... This will help get the Xanthan into solution easier as it tends to want to clump pretty significantly if blended alone. Pour milk In a large stainless steel dutch oven pan (1.5 gallon capacity or so). Using wire wisk, incorporate ingredients in this order: Instant Nonfat milk, Corn Syrup, Sugar, Sugar/Xanthan blend, beaten egg yolks, cream. Place pan on stove and turn heat to medium. Continue to STIR MIX while it is heating. If you have a good thermometer, now is the time to us it. You do NOT need to bring the ingredients to boiling...in fact it is better to NOT boil these as it will curdle the egg and scorch the milk. Continue stirring scraping the bottom of the pan frequently to keep from scalding. Bring the temperature to 175 degrees. Once you reach 175, take the mix off of the stove and immediately plunge pan into sink filled with ice water. Allow to cool in ice bath for 15 minutes, then place in refrigerator to cool completely to Refrigerator temperature overnight... Mix will thicken in fridge overnight.

Edited to add the following disclaimer: It is IMPERATIVE with the eggs in this formula that you heat the mix to a minimum of 175 degrees and then getting it into the ice bath to cool off quickly...if you don't want to heat the mix, just eliminate the eggs... But with the eggs it is IMPERATIVE!
Freeze ice cream in Kub Ice Kreme Freezer using your favorite ingredients. This is classified as a "premium ice cream" buy "standard of identity" because it is 12% fat ice cream. If you want to eliminate the corn syrup, you can, but add back in some sugar. Corn Syrup is about 1/2 as sweet as sugar, so if you take out A pound of corn syrup, add back in a half-pound of sugar...

I will post a separate post with my favorite flavors and how I make them!

Let me know if you try this ice cream mix and what you think!!!!!

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Last edited by Hengy on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:24 pm

That sounds similar to what my Grandmother would make on the farm down in Virginia, she cooked up a custard-like sauce and made it into ice cream the next day. She used a double-boiler to keep the milk from scalding. Rich and smooth, sooooo much better than what was available in the grocery store back then. Gotta give your recipe a try, first I'll need to find the old triple beam balance that I used to weigh carburetor needle valves a few years back.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Hey Mike. since yours is super secret I won't tell any of the forum members to keep it safe. Souds yummy! i might have to get the ice cream freezer out before summer ends.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:16 pm

Barnyard wrote:Hey Mike. since yours is super secret I won't tell any of the forum members to keep it safe. Souds yummy! i might have to get the ice cream freezer out before summer ends.

SSHHHHHH.... don't tell! It is just between you and me...oh and about 3800 other forum members, if they choose to look at this forum.

The nice thing about a 1 gallon batch is that if you have a smaller freezer, you can make one gallon of mix and make two different flavors...on right after another!

It is also very easy to "double the batch" if you have a BIG freezer! Remember, one of the secrets to good hand cranked (or in this case Kub Kranked) ice cream is to NOT fill the freezer bucket all the way with mix... only do about 2/3 at most... let the ice cream expand and get some air in it... Makes for RICH CREAMY ICE CREAM! If you can bear to wait to eat all of the ice cream in one sitting, put it in a tupperware container and get it into the freezer RIGHT away! Let it sit and harden for a while. This formula makes GREAT hardened product...not just good soft serve...

Mike in La Crosse, WI

P.S. - I forgot in the original post that it is IMPERATIVE with the eggs in this formula that you heat the mix to a minimum of 175 degrees and then getting it into the ice bath to cool off quickly...if you don't want to heat the mix, just eliminate the eggs... But with the eggs it is IMPERATIVE!
Image Image

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks Mike that sounds really good. I'll start gathering the ingredients and give it a try :D

Andrew, Your Dad told me about that reciept when I saw him Thursday, I sure hope he finds it, when he does bring it down and we'll try it out on the Kub Freezer :!:

Ron
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:53 am

This is a vanilla Ice Cream recipe that I got from Southern Living Mag. many years ago. I like it not only because it is delicious but because it is so simple, "Mama don't like complicated". This is for the 5 qt size. Cut it down a little for 4 qt.

6 cups milk
2 cups sugar
1, 12oz can of evaporated milk
1, small box of instant vanilla pudding
Mix all the above together then fold in
1, 12oz tub of cool whip, thawed
Freeze
Enjoy!!

Another plus about this is that you can mix it up in the container that you will freeze it in.
"Mama don't like to do dishes either"
Last edited by ellen on Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:13 am

WisconsinCubMan wrote:I will post a separate post with my favorite flavors and how I make them!

We're still waiting!
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:09 pm

Lurker Carl wrote:
WisconsinCubMan wrote:I will post a separate post with my favorite flavors and how I make them!

We're still waiting!

Maybe he's looking for a cable to upload them. :bellylaugh:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:45 pm

C'mon Mike, I'm STILL waiting!
- Louis Pasteur

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:53 pm

Whoops.... Completely missed the follow-up...

My favorite flavors:

Chocolate Peanut Butter
After you have made your ice cream mix, segregate off some of the "white mix" to make a chocolate mix by adding your favorite cocoa with STRONG agitation.. Cocoa likes to clump up. You can't just add plain peanut butter to the ice cream when freezing...it doesn't work right. You need to "doctor" it up. Here is where you need to do... for 1/2 gallon of ice cream (1/3 gallon of mix), you will need about 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter "syrup" to add. It ain't "good for you" but take about 1 cup of your favorite peanut butter and mix with a little more than 1/4 cup of vegetable oil...it needs to be oil to make the peanut butter "flow". Next add sugar to taste... you want the finished syrup to be slightly sweet and peanutty...

The secret to really GOOD chocolate Ice Cream is to add a small amount of vanilla to the mix before freezing... the vanilla kind of "rounds out" the sharp chocolate from the cocoa. Freeze your chocolate ice cream until it is "done" and the machine has to work pretty hard to churn he ice cream... Turn the ice cream into a freezer-proof container and quickly and gently turn your peanut butter syrup into the ice cream. Don't over mix...you want there to be a ribbon of peanut butter in there. If you are really adventurous, crush up some peanut butter cups and blend them into the soft ice cream at the same time you are putting your ripple in... Take the ice cream and place in your freezer until it is hardened (24 hours)...like THAT is going to happen!

Strawberry
To 1/2 gallon of ice cream (1/3 gallon of mix), use one small package of frozen, SWEETENED strawberry puree in syrup. Thaw strawberries in the refrigerator. Freeze your white mix as normal...don't add any flavor, vanilla doesn't help in the case of strawberry ice cream. Once Ice Cream is "done", remove from your ice cream maker and turn white frozen ice cream into a freezer container. Turn in strawberry puree in syrup and mix thoroughly until color is uniform throughout the ice cream and the pieces of strawberries are uniformly distributed throughout the ice cream. Place ice cream in the freezer and allow to harden overnight (again...like THAT is going to happen!)

Cookies and Cream.
I like lots of large pieces of Oreos in my ice cream as well as some small "fines" in there or extra yumminess. To 1/2 gallon of ice cream (1/3 gallon of mix) use your discretion as to the amount of cookies to add. Just buy the Oreos and place them in a zip-lock bag. Then knock the HECK out of them with a rolling pin or a meat tenderizer. After Ice Cream is frozen in the Ice Cream maker, turn in pieces of Oreos and make sure to get all the crumbs in the mix as well...Stir well and place in freezer to harden completely.

Praeline Pecan
To the MIX before freezing, add butterscotch topping and stir to incorporate well. Add enough to get a good "buttery flavor" but not TOO much or the freezing of the ice cream will be affected. Get your favorite praelines from your favorite purveyor of nuts and candies... I get the whole praelines and bust them up into pieces. Because I like a TON of nuts and candy in my ice cream, I get about 1/2 pound of praelines per 1/2 gallon of ice cream frozen... Freeze butter flavored ice cream until done in ice cream maker. Remove mix to a freezer container. To frozen product mix in praelines until evenly distributed. Then, you can either use the rest of the jar of butterscotch or use caramel sauce (store bought) and ribbon it into the ice cream. Freeze until hardened.

OK... enough of my favorite flavors... tell me your favorite flavors, and I will help you with formulating the inclusions...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Image Image

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:49 pm

So, 1/2 pound of cocoa per gallon of ice cream for a really great chocolate? I can handle that! Is one brand or type of cocoa preferable?
- Louis Pasteur

Jeff Silvey
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 46055
Tractors Owned: -
1950 Demo,1956 w/ FH, 1959 w 59" mower,
Cub L-54 Blade,152 Plow
189 plow, LF 194 Plow, Woods 42" Mower,
Choremaster Garden tractors & Implements
Antique Gas engines

Postby Jeff Silvey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:19 am

[quote="WisconsinCubMan"]Whoops.... Completely missed the follow-up...

Better than the picture :big embarrased:
Still NO cable or pictures
In my line of work
" EVERYBODY GOES HOME THE NEXT MORNING"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”