This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pruning Pear Trees

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
1cubmaster
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: veg-farmer

Pruning Pear Trees

Postby 1cubmaster » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:20 pm

I bought this place last year and have 6 over grown pear trees,does any one know how to prune them? I know its this time of year but I dont want to kill them! And have overgrown apples too. They all produced fruit last summer,but small and small amounts.I know pruning will help.Thanks Mike
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work! "
Thomas Edison

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:51 pm

Mike,

This may be of help:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1150.html

Good luck, enjoy the pears and apples.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:27 pm

USDA has stuff on that too. Pruning may not make much of a difference this year but it will next year. Apples generally give better crops every other year is what I have found.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

randy48cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby randy48cub » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:27 pm

I would prune out the center first, cutting off branches that cross other branches, but take no no more than 20 % each year.

Good Luck

Randy
If it ain't broke I ain't worked on it!!

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:24 pm

Bill ,I'm sure had the best answer.A few years ago,Iwas living at a place that the next door neighbors had a mini orchard.They did not take care of it.[a long with a lot of other things]They were dwarf trees.Now they are 30 ft andd need major trimming.about 35 to 40 trees and I got tennis elbow from it t[enndinious??].A new neighbor said have at it.The next year not much.That was expected.This past year[last fall]WOW!!!!I had a lot of great bon-fires in January and Febuary,the year I did the trimming.But seeing all the apples and pears,peaches appriocots,it was worth it.I've sinced moved[as usall]and won't get to see how they do.Another person has since moved into the house,and I doubt they will take care of them.Once you get them half decent,takes a lot less time.I plan on planting a few pear and apple trees here at my new place this spring.Kevin :D :D I do have a couple of fruit trees and pruned them yesterday.I don't know what they are yet.Be fun to find out they are small
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

Gary E.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Pruning Pear Trees

Postby Gary E. » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm no expert, but I have a few pear trees. I try to eliminate any v shaped limbs. they encourage disease.Also try to prune so some sun can get to the middle of the tree.To keep my fruit consistant from year to year, I remove any pears or apples that are growing closer than the width of my fist.That's the hardest thing to do,but the fruit grows bigger and there is less strain on your trees.
Gary E. Bowersville,Oh.'66 lo-boy,plw,disk,gravel bucket,bellymower,front blade

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Pruning Pear Trees

Postby SONNY » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:52 pm

Everything that has been posted is what I try to do on the few trees that we have, and does work!!-----Thats exactly the was I pruned ours and had great results!!! thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”