This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Season Long Garden Log For 2008! (With Pictures)

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:09 pm

washcohillbilly is none other than Mr. John &^&**^&^^ Cub owner. And that plow does work well :wink: :lol: :lol:
8)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:18 pm

We do have Verizon premium DSL with MSN,--it has it's problems, but that package dead was offered and we are on our second year with it!

Part of our new acres gardens will be used for "testing" grounds of different varieties/methods, and grass/weed killers! ( at least that is what I would like to do!)

If everyone participates in this thread, it can be the best, and biggest ever!! thanks;sonny

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13104
Tractors Owned: 1979 IH Cub - 253598

SONNY

Postby boldpsi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:50 am

if you're experimenting with different gardening methods, please try this one:
http://www.squarefootgardening.com/

it's perfect for most garden crops outside of mass plantings as for corn, peas, et cetera. check it out. but, i'll warn you... if you get addicted to it, DON'T BLAME ME!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Cabbage

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:27 pm

Neighbor salts growing cabbage heads to eliminate insects and firm up the heads. Sprinkles table salt on the head.

I was discussing gardening with neighbor and asked about cabbage. He gave me a real nice head last summer. He related that his mother in-law gave him the tip on salt years ago.

I'll give the tip a try this spring to see if it works.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:44 pm

My post may have been a little misleading. I only MiracleGro anything I transplant. I use my sidedresser to fertilize everything else. No way would I carry a water can and do my whole garden with MiracleGro although it is only 1 acre.

Billy

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years

salt trick for cabbage

Postby boldpsi » Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:25 pm

Eugene, and others:

i think the salt trick for the cabbage is akin to the wood-ashes trick; the nematodes which are the main enemy of cabbages (especially youngins) will not crawl over the sharp wood ashes (or salt i suppose could be worse!) in their search for the tender stems of your cabbages.

this is, at least, what i've read and been told...
dave
boldpsi@windstream.net
1979 International Cub, rebuilt motor 1997; 5' Woods belly mower, C22 5' sickle-bar mower, 193 -bottom land plow, IH 54A push-plow/grader, heavy-duty chains, loaded tires, wheel weights. Original red commemorative paint.

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Brandy Wine Tomatoes

Postby RedBess » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:46 am

Jack, I would be interested in your take on those Brandy Wine tomatoes you are hankering for, when you finally get some. After years of anticipating them I finally grew a batch of them. Had a perfect growing season here in Maine too. Thought they were bland. They were large solid tomatoes, but a bite into them didn't have the taste. I talked to some one else who expressed disappointment with a lot of the heirloom varieties.
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 am

For those who prefer a low acid tomato, I highly reccomend the heirloom German Queen tomato. It is not a prolific producer but is very meaty and is not a good candidate for canning or freezing because of the low acidity. But for shear taste, unless you like a very acid tomato, I don't think they can be beaten. Pete

TractorChick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63023
Skype Name: The Chick
Tractors Owned: 2006 exmark zeroturn
1949 farmall cub
1948 farmall C
1963 Tilly Tiller
1951 Farmall Super A "lil' devil"
1945 farmall a "Apple"
1955 farmall cub

Postby TractorChick » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:11 am

I'm just going to grow some tomatoes in my garden this year
Silly Boys, Trucks are for girls.... :)
1963 Divco milk truck
1998 chevy Z71 truck
1984 SS Elcamino

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:06 am

Well our garden this year will be about 5 times bigger than last yr. No for sure plan as of yet but we are working on a plan and a layout for it. For one thing we will double the strawberry patch,,,,,yummm yummm,,,,,maters, okra, pepper's, squash, cuccumbers, green onions, tater's, corn,,????????,,,,,,,will still have the seperate pumkin patch. Spring is coming,,,,, we better get it into gear. :D :D :D :D
I can fix it,,,get me a bigger hammer.

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:02 pm

We have a little more idea what we need for sure, and some we don't, but are going to try!!---like a few peanuts!--had some a couple years ago, not too bad! Would like to get a few cotton seeds from somewhere just to see if it would still grow here!--it did one year!--kinda got strange looks from visitors!
Might try a few different maters this time, along with our saved seed!
If you start your own plants, wait until 6 or 8 weeks before your last frost date to do them!--that way they won't get spindly and stunted before you can get them in the ground! thanks; sonny

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:04 pm

Update on a previous post I had concerning using Poast in gardens and flower beds. Google "High Yield Grass Killer" There is some good information about the product. It isn't called Poast anymore but sold under High Yield Grass Killer. Probably more names also. My cousin tried it and he said it works. Be your own judge. I will try it.

Billy

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:42 pm

Here is a link to a little more information on Poast AND Treflan!

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8101.html

It kind of looks like we might have to use more than one chem. to help do the job!--I thought if we could at least get some of the major crops covered, that would leave us more time to tend to the "unprotected" crops!
It will be a little harder to "treat" the smaller areas, but a good little hand sprayer and some calculations will work!--The bigger areas can be sprayed with a bigger sprayer! (I have a 60 gallon pull sprayer, with regular pump/regulator/nozzles etc., )
Still looking for other chems. too!----add them when you find them! thanks; sonny

boldpsi
10+ Years
10+ Years

got zucchini?

Postby boldpsi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:12 pm

check out the height of the zucchini plants in this picture:

plants such as these aren't bothered enough by bugs to worry about using insecticide, and any weed stupid enough to attempt growing under them can just go right ahead and try (therefore no herbicides)! these were planted inside those cheap tomato cages which you can buy at the hardware store for about $.99 each. they extended about 1.5 feet above the cages in this picture; the cages aren't even visible.

as you can tell, i had been eating a LOT of stuffed zucchini prior to that picture :weaping:

the seed where from Heirloom Seeds (http://www.heirloomseeds.com), and were the "Black Zucchini" variety. ridiculously prolific. after i got tired of eating them, i of course let them go. big mistake - i had zukes that were 2 to 2.5 feet long, and anywhere from 5-8inches thick at the thickest. really unbelieveable.

dave[/b]
boldpsi@windstream.net

Bugler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bugler » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

That is a great picture Bold,,,,, Barb and I love our zucchini, and will have a lot of it again this year. What is your dogs name. :D :D :D :D
I can fix it,,,get me a bigger hammer.

1949 Cub "BB"
3 Pumkin Trailers
LT 1042 Cub Cadet
71 Screwdrivers
22 in. Honda Mower
Echo weedeater
Half a can of Kroil