This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seed Germination System

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Seed Germination System

Postby Eugene » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Just purchased a seed starter system. $35- from Lowes. Trays, cover and heating pad. Tray holds 72 containers to start seeds.

So far I have germinated tomatoes, bell and jalepeno peppers. Appears to werk well. Germination rate is above 90%. Time from planting to sprouting appears to be a bit faster than advertised on the back of the seed packets.

We had always purchased garden plants from the local market. Just thought I would give it a try.

Priced some started asparagus plants - $1.75 per pot/1 plant. Compared with $1.99 for a packet of seed. Appears the payback could be less than 1 year - depending on the type of plants started.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:01 pm

Asparagus takes 2 or 3 years when planting started roots. Takes a year or two to get them ready for transplant. It is well worth it when the crop comes in though. Godd to go for the next 20 years i hear. We have only had ours for 12 years.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm

Wife and I are in the process of starting a new, second, asparagus bed at the house. We did purchase 10 of the potted plants - appear to be 1 year old. We will be putting in some of the seedlings started in the house and we have a number of asparagus plants that we will be transplanting.

We had started another asparagus patch on my son's acerage several years ago. This patch has not done well. We will be digging up the surviving plants and moving them to the new bed.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”