This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Acorn Uses?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
jakeesspoo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44847

Acorn Uses?

Postby jakeesspoo » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:50 pm

My acorn tree is dropping more acorns then Ive ever seen before. There all over, my question is what can I do with them? What eats them? What are they good for? I dont have any pet squirells or chipmunks so Im pretty stumped...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby (CUB HUT) » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:31 pm

Jake-- around these parts the deer and squirrels eat all of them , until they sour later on.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:37 pm

We fed them to the hogs when I was a kid.

http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/NAIFood/acorns.htm

They are also can be used as food stuff.

Eugene

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

Postby Little Indy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:05 am

I suggest feeding them to hogs. In Italy and Spain hogs raised on acorns demand a heafty premium, especially the hams and beacon. Never had any but there is always tommorow.

Richard
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:58 am

The White ,Swamp white,Red and pin oak acorns are a mainstay around here. Swamp white Oak and white Oak, Deer and squirrels love em, Pin oak small acorns are a great food for wood ducks, deer mice etc. My friends is trying to reforest 80 acres,picking up acorns all over, he plants them , and as fast as he get them in the squirrels are digging them up, must smell pretty tasty, so now he sprouts the in a mulch pile then plants them in the spring, he has been having great success with this, I guess if every nut that fell grew to trees ,well you know. The squirrels at the house are picking them up and buring them in our strawberrys and all around the house. I'd like to see a hog do that!
Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”