This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bats and Barn Swallows

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Bats and Barn Swallows

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:52 pm

We usually have a few of each. This year the two nests of barn swallows have a second round of chicks in them. One has 4 which fills the mud nest full. My wife told me to look above some fly tape in a horse run and there are 20-25 +/- small brown bats hanging between a truss and side wall. I'm sure the wet weather has hatched enough mosquitos to keep them busy all night.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: Bats and Barn Swallows

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:48 pm

Aside from the mess that they make, they are both your friends. We seem to have an abundance of barn swallows this year, also. Must be Trudeau’s smoke. Haven’t seen a bat in several years.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:57 pm

I usually havna bunch odf swallows diving around the 444 when i mow a field, not one this year, and not many bugs that would attract them.
Don't know why.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:43 am

Bob McCarty wrote:We usually have a few of each. This year the two nests of barn swallows have a second round of chicks in them. One has 4 which fills the mud nest full. My wife told me to look above some fly tape in a horse run and there are 20-25 +/- small brown bats hanging between a truss and side wall. I'm sure the wet weather has hatched enough mosquitos to keep them busy all night.
Good morning all, from the sweltering deep south. 12 days straight of record highs , all 100*+ . No barn swallows , but a bumper crop of bats . My son-inlaw has put several bat "houses" , its amazing how quick the bats find them and move in . Half of Louisiana is covered in water . ANY help we can get for mosquito control is welcome. :wink: coppersmythe.....................PS: RMCF or bust!!....................