This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

raised rows

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe
Circle of Safety: Y

raised rows

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:52 am

Hello all,
I use my hillers to make raised rows out in the field. so I am wondering, how do you guys level the tops of the rows after hilling them, my plans this coming season is to make the rows, put down double drip tape, then cover with plastic mulch. I am hoping for more ideas, other than going back with a rake to level out the beds,
thank you
Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SamsFarm
501 Club
501 Club
Zip Code: 44410
Tractors Owned: 1968 Cub Fast Hitch
LF-1 Platform Carrier
144 Cultivators
L-F194 Plow(s)
F38 Disk
L-F3 Spring Tooth Harrow
CS Bell No. 60 Grain Mill on a unmodified Fast Hitch Disk hitch prong
Home Made Fast Hitch Potato Plow
54A Blade

Couple 1948 Cubs
172 Runner Planter
53 Fertilizer
Cub-3 Field Cultivator
Cub-189 Two Way Plow
Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower
Mechanical Transplanter with side mount barrel (needs a fast hitch adapter) :)

Misc Belly Mowers

Wish List
International 100 Fast Hitch Blade
Mott Fast Hitch Flail Mower

Wish Wish Wish List
Fast Hitch Rotary Hoe
4E hammer mill

Re: raised rows

Postby SamsFarm » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 am

You could get a bed shaper / pastic layer, I think they even offer a attachment for drip tape

1968 Cub Fast-Hitch

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:52 am

yes I considered one of those 3 point mulch layers, but they are costly. I watched a video on this site of a cub laying the plastic mulch, and I'm considering that method, but I need to get the top nice and level first an install the drop tape

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:56 am

Remove the cultivator shovels/shanks from the rear gangs and fabricate a straight/level cross member (wood or steel) between the gangs to level the hill. One pass to complete the bed.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:11 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:Remove the cultivator shovels/shanks from the rear gangs and fabricate a straight/level cross member (wood or steel) between the gangs to level the hill. One pass to complete the bed.

Bill

thats a good idea.... thank you

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:20 pm

The best set-up is going to depend on the height and width you are going for on your finished beds. Using 2 sets of disk hillers might be an option if you are going fairly wide, as might also be a set of potato hillers. Either of these options would probably be improved by adding something to the back as Bill suggested.

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:11 pm

Jim Becker wrote:The best set-up is going to depend on the height and width you are going for on your finished beds. Using 2 sets of disk hillers might be an option if you are going fairly wide, as might also be a set of potato hillers. Either of these options would probably be improved by adding something to the back as Bill suggested.

hi Jim,
I'm going to make 30" beds ( I hope anyway ) I have two sets of 16" hillers i got from (agri supply) so I should be ok as far as making the rows.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:55 pm

Jack wrote:I'm going to make 30" beds ( I hope anyway ) I have two sets of 16" hillers i got from (agri supply) so I should be ok as far as making the rows.

You will need to experiment with them a bit. The height of the bed and condition of the soil will both have some effect. I'd probably start with a pair of hillers set with about 12 inches between them, followed by the next pair set out another 9 inches on each side and deeper than the front set. That will probably give you 3 ridges that can be knocked level into one bed using Bill's cross piece.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:11 pm

The more I think about this, this would be an excellent opportunity for using a Super A (or other model) with the independent hydraulics front and rear. Gives you the ability of adjusting depth of one with affecting the other, allowing quick response to changes in soil conditions/type. George Willer (if my memory serves me correct) had set up a Cub, with cultivators, using the hydraulics to control the front and a hand lift to control the back. This allowed the cultivators to enter and leave the ground at the same spot, making for a much neater/effective job.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:21 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:The more I think about this, this would be an excellent opportunity for using a Super A (or other model) with the independent hydraulics front and rear. Gives you the ability of adjusting depth of one with affecting the other, allowing quick response to changes in soil conditions/type. George Willer (if my memory serves me correct) had set up a Cub, with cultivators, using the hydraulics to control the front and a hand lift to control the back. This allowed the cultivators to enter and leave the ground at the same spot, making for a much neater/effective job.

Bill

I don't have a super A, just a cub and a international 300

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:23 pm

Bill Hudson wrote:a Super A (or other model) with the independent hydraulics front and rear

I agree on all points. I believe George did use a hand lift rear with hydraulics to control the front. Several others, including me, have tried it as well. After doing it a year or two, I decided it wasn't worth the effort to mount the hand lift unit for the small amount I was cultivating. Later on, I took an even easier approach of not installing the rear cultivators. One warning to anyone that does it: When run all the way forward, the lift lever can smack straight into the Touch-Control quadrant. As I recall, the contact point is in the middle of the hand grip of the lever.

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 pm

Jim Becker wrote:You will need to experiment with them a bit. The height of the bed and condition of the soil will both have some effect. I'd probably start with a pair of hillers set with about 12 inches between them, followed by the next pair set out another 9 inches on each side and deeper than the front set. That will probably give you 3 ridges that can be knocked level into one bed using Bill's cross piece.

thank you for all the pointers
well appreciated
Jack

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”