This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

wood chuck

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: wood chuck

Postby Urbish » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:14 am

Don McCombs wrote:I'm quite successful using a Conibear for groundhogs. You do need to place them in their entrance hole, however. I've never had one go farther than the 8 foot chain that's attached to the trap. :D

Learned my lesson there. Future settings of the trap will include cable tethering to the nearest tree/post/whatever.
Jim

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade

Postby Urbish » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am

My only concern with the Conibear is that it kills indiscriminately. A few weeks before I got the woodchuck, I got a stray cat. Oops!
Jim

Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:47 am

When we lived in our old house we had a ground hog destroying everything in sight. We had transplanted a dozen oak trees that had grown wild in the yard and they were doing great until the big rodent started to feast on them. I knew he was living under the wood pile behind the garage, but never could catch him out. One day he was nibbling on one of our last young oak trees so I went in and got the rifle. When I came out he scrambled for his hole and my daughter, who was about 5 or 6 at the time, asked what I was doing. I told her to stay on the porch until I got back. As I headed for the back of the garage I felt I was being followed. When I looked back Mel was right on my heals. I told her to get back on the porch and kept going. Just as I got there he had come out of his hole and was standing on his hind legs with his back to me. One shot and he was mine. He leaned to the side on one leg and rotated 180 degrees before falling in his back. Never had a problem with them at that house after that. Now that we are in the new house, with six dogs, I have left the rifle in the house.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:51 pm

One met it’s maker this morning at our farm. About a 75 yard shot with the .22. He was on his way to the garden.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:50 pm

I used to use the body traps but quit when I got a stray cat in one set for coons. ---never used them since! --- These live traps are a joke, but at least I am not killing cats and do get a fair amount of coons and possums in them.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:20 pm

I use both. But, only use the Conibears when I can set them directly into the entrance holes.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”