This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

tomato seed

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

tomato seed

Postby Bill » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:40 am

We grow BURPEE NAPA GRAPE tomatoes, plants are not available at garden centers. Has anyone that grows these had any luck saving the seed.
Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: tomato seed

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:52 am

I never grew that variety. However, Burpee lists it as a hybrid, which often will morph into something else if you use the seeds.

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 am

Jim,
Thanks for the reply, I have heard this of other Hybrids. These are the best little tomato we ever grew, they do not crack like the sweet 100. I grow them on a lattice like structure, when I mow lawn I stop by the plant an eat some just like a drink of water.
Bill

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby v w » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:21 am

It takes six generations to stabilize hybrid seed into an open pollinated type. Seed is saved from plants showing the characteristics that you want IE: the napa grape tomato. Seed companies grow one year here then follow with a season in South America then back in the US so they can do it in 3 years. Even then you may not get what you want exactly. Inbreeding can also cause problems. Hybrids themselves may vary some. I have seen a plug flat of Early Girl have a couple plants throw a potato leaf. I am sure the seed could be saved and you will get something and the odds are that most will be close. My advice? Buy the seed. Vern

Bill
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Bill » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:26 am

VW,
Have been buying these seed for several years, just thought we might try saving some. But if we miss we will lose a year of these good tomatoes, not worth the gamble. Will buy seed from Burbees. Thanks for your input.
Bill

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”