This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Persimmons are ripening

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Persimmons are ripening

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 pm

We have a small clump of 3 persimmon trees in our lower yard, and I really love them. Unfortunately the ones that grow in this area are the small ones with a lot of seeds. Not practical to cook with due to the small amount of flesh and difficulty of removing seeds. However, if you do not mind wallowing them around in your mouth and chewing on the seeds for a while before spitting the seeds out they are great. One word of warning though, be careful that when spitting out the seeds your false teeth do not go to. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Persimmons are ripening

Postby T-Mo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:26 pm

John,
One of the churches I used to belong to for years, was once named Persimmon Grove, among other names including Fountain Farm. When I was going there, there were no persimmon trees left, but the church building dates back to the early 40s, if not sooner. Unfortunately, the new owners of the church tore down the original building.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Need to check the persimmon tree near the ridge top. Had quite a few persimmons this year.

Weather forecast has several evenings in the low 30s.

If the racoons haven't raided the tree, I will pick and then pulp the fruit. Save the juice for my daughter who makes assorted jellies and jams.
I have an excuse. CRS.

lyle11
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44236
Tractors Owned: 48 FCub
55 Lowboy
60 Lowboy
Allis Chalmers B

Postby lyle11 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:00 pm

I planted a grafted Yates persimmon at my previous place. It produced golf ball or slightly larger sized fruit with a few big seeds and it was self pollinating, since I only had room for 1 tree. I planted it mainly for looks. I like the big leathery leaves and the look of the bark. A single “named variety” tree grows fast and makes a nice yard tree but it is messy with a lot of small twigs breaking off in the wind. I am pretty sure golf club woods are made from persimmon wood. It is extremely hard and fine grained. Much harder than hickory, which is harder than maple. I wasn’t crazy about the fruit but loved the tree.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”