This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

2019 Gardens, All sizes

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 2019 Gardens, All sizes

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:19 pm

Soil test is important, especially pH. Nutrients can't be absorbed by the plants, if the soil is too acid.

Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39401
Tractors Owned: 1950 Super A
1955 John Deere 60 (sold)
1950 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub l59 woods belly mower (sold)
1951 Cub (sold) 1950 Cub w/ 5' sicklebar (sold)
Tufline 6' disc (old heavy pull type)
1953+ A-295A 2 furrow SlatWing Plow Chief plow (SA)
1950 cub-193 1 furrow SWPC plow (cub) (sold)
6' home made bush hog. Mounts on drawbar

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:58 pm

This year I started a new business (Ol Timey Farming LLC). I started late as the ground here in south MS was way too wet in early spring (Got my SA stuck 3 times trying to bush-hog old cow pastures I was making into crop fields). So I planted 2 acres of cowpeas to add organic matter to those fields and add nitrogen while killing weeds (the peas grow fast). It worked but my 1950 Super A had a problem turning the soil over after bush-hogging the peas. I have a 2 bottom tractor mounted turning plow (A-295A I think) and after only going 15' the plows were full of pea vines and would clog up with dirt and vines. SO I tried more bush hogging AND then used a 6' disc (pull type). It has 18" discs and even it would fill up with pea vines and was a pain but I finally got the fields disked. So now I'm planting fall and late summer crops and even expanding to a 3rd acre so I can rotate between the 3 and have 3 years between crops so hopefully if any virus or disease in a crop will be gone by time I rotate crops and return to that plot. I am making 4' raised beds and have my Super A set to straddle over them. I'm looking for a 200 type manure spreader to also ride over the raised beds. My ultimate plan is to have no-till and add manure to raised beds and use my SA to pull a home-made 2 ripper/subsoiler set at 6" apart offset and go over each bed with it in both directions making 4-(16"to 20" deep) ruts in the beds to break up hardpan and mix the manure into the beds. I'm also building (digging mostly LOL) an irrigation system for the 3 acres. The 3rd plot I'm only putting clover in this winter and will till it in in spring and plant red beans in summer so it will have good nitrogen by next fall (also putting 2-4 tons of breeder chicken manure on it too). I'll also have a small 1/4 acre perennial bed with herbs,flowers and onions and garlic in it. I'll transplant some of them into the main crop fields as the flowers, onion and garlic are all good for pollinizer bugs (bees etc) and attract good insects while also keeping bad bugs out. I'm learning as I go and modifying my plan as needed but so far things look good for this "Ol Timey Farmer" :) good luck to all and keep that ol iron running in them fields ya'll
:tractor:
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."
"I DON'T believe in a government that protects US from OURSELVES." R. Reagan

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:25 pm

outdoors4evr wrote:Not wanting to start a 2020 Gardens thread, I'll post it here.
I'm prepping a garden space for next year. The ground is mostly clay and potato sized rocks (not very good garden soil). I have added and spread 5 yards of aged horse manure (been resting for about 1.5 years) and tilled it in. What should I do between now and next spring to improve this soil? Horse manure usually has a lot of seeds in it.
Should I water the garden to get the weed seeds to sprout and then till them up?
Should I plant a cover crop like winter wheat and till it under next spring?
Should I till in a bale of straw so the ground will be able to hold some water?

I feel like soil tests will just tell me that I have lots of rocks and horse crap.

I would water it and see if weed seeds will germinate, then disc that under and plant a fall/winter cover crop, here in south MS we can grow clover and any grain as a cover crop (grain is for organic matter and deep roots to break hardpan and get deep nutrients) I personally only plant clover as cover crop as the organic matter and nitrogen (legumes fixate nitrogen in soil) are what my soil needs most. Manure is good but without testing the soil you may actually make matter worse (in my case I need to watch out for too much P as the chicken manure I use has tons and can accumulate to dangerous levels if not watched). Adding organic matter will help (straw) but know IF your low on N (nitrogen) then adding the straw will only make that worse as rotting material needs extra N to decay. Adding things like alfalfa hay is better as it has 12% nitrogen too. If soil is slightly alkaline I would add cotton seed meal as it has 12% N and is slightly acidic to correct your pH. Otherwise I'd add the alfalfa or grow a legume like austrian winter peas or clover and till them in in the spring. Note, MS is way different than you as I'm in zone 8b so winter here is shorts n a tee on Christmass day, ask your local extension office (MI state ag college) as every state has an ag school that helps farmers and most do cheap soil samples if not free for locals. Also talk with them about cover crops there as the clover I use here I'll plant late this month to early next month BUT it will grow all winter till it blooms in early spring and I'll till them under when 50% are blooming (before seed) But in MI you may need to already have planted a winter kill type there so you may need a different cover crop so ask the school extension office there to get what your area needs and can grow best....
ImageCircle of Safety
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the GOVERNMENT and I'm here to HELP."

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:07 am

I would suggest that before you do anything else, --sub-soil the area as deep as you can. I don't know how deep your soil is, but here I sub-soil 3 feet deep late fall then plow . That way any winter moisture will have a better chance of going down instead of running off.

Slim140
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: .
1970 International 140
1972 International 140
1949 John Deere A
1993 Ford 4630 W/Loader
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original

Postby Slim140 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:19 am

Eugene wrote:Had a bit less than 1/2" rain, total, since 22 June. Garden is gone. No grass to mow.

Mowed our garden August 12th, been dry and little to no rain. The day after I mowed it we got an inch of rain. It’s rained every other day since and we’re close to 8” in less than two weeks. I should have mowed it a couple months ago. Need to mow the yard but can’t for the rain, I’m not complaining though.
Every home is a school, what are you teaching?

Circle of Safety

BullDAWG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BullDAWG » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:12 am

Wish we were dry here too Shane. South Mississippi has had over 8" this last week and some before that too. I only have 1/2 an acre planted in crops out of 3.5 acres I am trying to plant in crops and/or cover crops. I need 3-4 days of no rain so I can put out clover in 1 acre, do 1/2 an acre in squash and rest in cabbage, lettuce, onion, garlic, turnips and rutabagas.
ImageCircle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Digging sweet potatoes and this looks to be the biggest one this year. 10.5 pounds.-- a lot of this variety is running average of 4 to 9 pounds. Have smaller white ones and some red skin ones that are from a half pound to two pounds.
Got rained out from digging and still have 1.25 rows to dig.

copy 1.jpg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:30 pm

Been a real crappy summer for vegetables. Currently only one guy at the local farmers market. He has sweet corn, cantaloupe, some very small tomatoes, and decorative gourds.

Started planting garlic and radish.

For next year, need to order a different type garlic and some assorted radish. Daughter wants to order a type of beets she likes. Told her to let me know the names and types of vegetables and I would include it in my order. Idea is to save on postage and handling. Heck, I can mail a couple packs of seed to my daughter for 55 cents, saving her $7.00.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”