This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Heat index 100 to 110 degrees

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Heat index 100 to 110 degrees

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Heat index is over 100 to 110 degrees, and perhaps over, for the next 4 or 5 days. Even with both large shop doors open and a slight breeze, to hot for any prolonged work.

Today and game plan for next week with forecast high heat index, trim black walnut trees. At least we are in the shade, have plenty of water, quit when we get tired or over heated.

1.5 KW gen set, plenty of drop cord, electric powered poll saw, chain saws, pruning shears, corn knife, in the trailer.

Lesson learned. If you park the tractor and trailer in the sun, both the trailer seat and tractor seat get hot enough to burn you butt.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Re: Heat index 100 to 110 degrees

Postby T-Mo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:38 am

Yeah, we supposed to see air temps above 100 for the last few days of this week. I'm not fond of either extreme heat nor of extreme cold, so I'm partial to spring and fall myself, which we usually don't see too much of here in Missouri. Usually goes from winter to a few days of spring, to summer, to a few days of fall, to winter again. So 6 months of heat and 6 months of cold, basically. But, I can't complain too much, at least we don't see the extremely cold of the northern states and of Canada.

As for the heat, I remember when I had to travel to Los Angeles for business. I sat next to a woman on the plane who was from the LA area. As we were sitting on the tarmac in St. Louis she asked about the "smog" in the St. Louis area. This was in August I believe. She asked if we normally get that much smog. She said it looked similar to the smog hovering over LA, and just assumed that what she saw here was smog. I said, that wasn't smog, but the hazed cause by the extreme humidity and the heat we see here. The 3 H's, hot, humid, and hazy.

clemk
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 03741
Tractors Owned: 51 cub
Fast Hitch
Cub22 mower
193 plow
L54 plow
C2 mower

1945 Ford 2N with aftermarket loader

Postby clemk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:08 am

Lesson learned. If you park the tractor and trailer in the sun, both the trailer seat and tractor seat get hot enough to burn you butt.[/quote]

I forget that all the time. I wouldn't mind quite so much, but because I start getting too hot at about 65*, I'm always in shorts. Kinda widens my eyes if you know what I mean!
Circle of Safety If nothing else, I'm good at being the bad example or a last resort

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Black deluxe seat, and sunshine, equals "Rump Roast"! Don't ask how I know!
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:42 pm

Hot, hot, and darn hot. Over 110 degrees heat index this afternoon, when I had a flat tire on the Dodge pickup. On the gravel acreage drive, in the sun. Got all but one lug nut broke loose. Had to walk back to the shop, load tools and wood blocking into the trailer, towed by my trusty standard Cub.

Finally got the last lug nut broke loose, first jack under the pickup, spare tire dropped, when son showed up to help. Wife and I drove to near by gas station to pick up Gatorade. Returned with Gatorade, son had the spare tire installed.

In the mean time, before son arrived, wife was sitting on a pickup blanket, with water, in the near by shade. I would work a while then jump in the running pickup, with A/C on to cool off.

$325- for two new rear pickup tires.

The trailer and tractor were setting in the sun for over an hour. And yes, burnt my butt, again, returning the Cub to the shop. The metal tools I had thrown in the trailer were to hot to pick up and return to their storage place.

Tomorrow, even hotter than today.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:36 am

Yup, I went out about 6 am to pick shell beans since Joann is recovering from gall bladder removal, and we decided to give the rest of them to a neighbor. It is 7:30 am Sat. and neighbor just left with the rest of the beans. I suggested they take vines and all and pull the beans off in air conditioning, and they did. My wife is 70, and I will be next year, and both of us are having health problems. Next year we are planning on a few tomatoes, a little lettuce, and nothing else.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

T-Mo
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 63628
Tractors Owned: '40 H
'44 B
'47 Cub
'49 C
54A Blade
42 Woods Mower
Henderson Loader
Cultivators
No. 8 Little Genius 2-12 Plow
IH Running Gear

Postby T-Mo » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:30 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Yup, I went out about 6 am to pick shell beans since Joann is recovering from gall bladder removal, and we decided to give the rest of them to a neighbor. It is 7:30 am Sat. and neighbor just left with the rest of the beans. I suggested they take vines and all and pull the beans off in air conditioning, and they did. My wife is 70, and I will be next year, and both of us are having health problems. Next year we are planning on a few tomatoes, a little lettuce, and nothing else.

John, take it easy this weekend. It's supposed to be over 100 today and upper 90s to near 100 tomorrow. In St.Louis, today will be the fourth day in a row over 100, topping off at 104 today.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm

Tomorrow, 28 July 17, we open up the house and shut off the A/C. For the next 10 days, day time temperatures in the mid 80s, humidity 60% and lower. Night time temperatures, 70 degrees and a bit lower.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”