This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Firefox fix for manuals

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 67235
Tractors Owned: '48 IHC

Firefox fix for manuals

Postby alfreema » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:25 pm

I'm a computer dork and use Firefox. I noticed the manuals aren't working so I decided to figure out why. Really simple fix ...

On this page: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html

The URLS have \index.html instead of /index.html. So this doesn't work:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html

but this does

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html

All ya gotta do is fix the main manual catalog to have forward slashes instead of that last backslash. All the subsequent pages I tried worked from that point on if you change the slashes out so it's only "wrong" on a single page apparently.

Hope it helps,

Aaron

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Firefox fix for manuals

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:32 am

Well I sure am glad, I hope the thing gets changed .

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:32 am

Google Chrome likes your fix, as well. Good job.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:42 am

Don't want to bust any bubbles but your solution as well as your conclusion that somehow one of the pages - in this case the Owner's Manual Page is wrong is well wrong.

First there are no backslashes in the code on that page or any index page of the server. Second, Firefox not being able to handle certain components such as punctuation deals with that inability by inserting random characters .. the most common being backslashes.

Also, IE, Opera, Chrome, Safari and other browsers do not have a problem handling the older code that comprises most of the manual server. Easiest workaround for Firefox users is to use another browser to access the server.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:29 am

I have never used Firefox thus don't know if that is the fix or not. However, I always try to avoid arguing about something that can be looked up. So using IE I did a VIEW SOURCE of the page in question. There is, absolutely, no question, back slashes in the URLs rather than forward slashes. That point is not open to argument. I don't believe it has never been correct syntax to use back slash for a URL separator but IE translates them because MS DOS uses it as a path name separator.

In the meanwhile, Forefox users might try opening the properties on the bad links in those pages, do a copy of the URL and paste it straight into the address field. You will probably have to manually change the back slashes into forward slashes before you hit enter.

Keep in mind that a lot of the mauals are also available on http://www.farmallcub.info/. I haven't heard of any problems using that site with Firefox.

(edit to fix link)

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:20 pm

Wow, I was trying to be helpful and certainly didn't mean to offend.

I even put the word "wrong" in quotes because it's not wrong in a technical sense, but the backslash is wrong in a relative sense. By that I mean that all of the other slashes were forward slashes until the last one, which was coming across as a backslash.

Apparently they have been changed and Firefox is working now.

I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:26 pm

alfreema wrote:Apparently they have been changed and Firefox is working now.

I'll keep my mouth shut from here on out.

Don't apologize, it looks like you may have helped more people than you think.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:30 pm

Aaron:

I didn't mean to offend or anything like that, I just get frustrated with the whole thing. I have gone over this problem a couple hundred times, always checked it with IE and Netscape right from the gitgo. Server always worked nicely and never noticed that there was an occasional back slash. Sure didn't remember putting them in. Didn't have any problems till FIreFox came along and then it just drove me nuts. The server also worked nicely in Opera, Safari and Chrome.

So I gotta say thanks.. :D

Between
alfreema wrote:The URLS have \index.html instead of /index.html. So this doesn't work:

and
Jim Becker wrote:IE translates them because MS DOS uses it as a path name separator

finally gave me a clue as to what was happening. Seeing as punctuation such as apostrophe's seemed to be the biggest problem I didn't look deeper and because as Jim said IE translates it so it doesn't show up as a problem. It just didn't click.

Where a lot of the problems in the code were in the last couple lines on each page and I didn't notice it. Also because cut and paste can help ease the load, it can also contribute to a problem rather quickly. From what I can see, most of the backslashes were in the last two lines, I didn't find too many anyplace else in the code. The backslashes in the last two lines seemed to replicate when the browser read the page .... although I did find a couple of places where there was a\index.html but not many.

This is a huge project. The server currently contains 4.13 gigs of data in 18,415 files. It has taken 10 years to get this large and I am not trained as a software engineer .. simply someone who has a passion for manuals and learned how to do basic HTML. I do not use Front Page or any of the other Web Page Engines out there, it is all written in HTML 3.0 and is not upgradeable as Apache is the host software and probably will not be updated.

Also, I am not interested in becoming a software engineer nor a programmer or anything else. Too many better things to do in my life than learn how to have another job. I just want to be able to play with the manuals and keep building my on-line lending library. I have been working on a new build based on newer technology but it takes time and because I am dependent on my daughter to build it, it will take time. Also we are concentrating on ensuring that everything is correct and adding a little more than twice the amount of data we currently have on the server. It takes time, energy and most of all knowledge. There is no one else to help so.... one does what one can. Add in life and health issues and yeah it becomes a huge job.

Now that I can see where the problem is, it will be a relatively easy fix .. but one that will take a rather extended time. I really appreciate the positive help that you provided, it has been enlightening. Again my apologies... didn't mean to be cranky :roll:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:05 am

To Rudi, you do one heck of a job and have put in countless hours and we thank you for your efforts.
And to all: I thought being a part of a family, even a forum family, was never having to say "I am sorry." We should be able to snap a little at each other without getting everyone offended. After all, we're not Washington politicians! Most of us are common folks with a lot, I say a lot, of common sense with some brilliant folks scattered in to make this forum one great family.
I am trying to learn and have learned much.
Mainly, I'm very proud to be a member of this forum.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:28 am

randallc wrote:... And to all: I thought being a part of a family, even a forum family, was never having to say "I am sorry." We should be able to snap a little at each other without getting everyone offended. After all, we're not Washington politicians! Most of us are common folks with a lot, I say a lot, of common sense with some brilliant folks scattered in to make this forum one great family. ...

So we should be a forum of snide, rude remarks to each other without cause? So should I be able to tell someone how out-and-out stupid their post is on the open forum without giving them the courtesy of taking 30 seconds to have a look at information they took the time to post to help me???

That is not what a family is about, and in my opinion, neither is this forum.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:35 am

I do truly appreciate all the work provided on the forum server, this one as well as others that have provided support. As to Firefox not working with some of the manuals, you can go to the Firefox site and browse ADD ONS. There you will find an option that once installed, you simply right click anywhere in the page and it loads it in IE. You can then continue your browsing in IE or go back to Firefox.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am

Apologies were made. It was accepted. Aaron understands the root of my frustration and I have expressed my thanks for helping me find what I could not find before even though there was a plethora of yadayadayada... about Firefox and the server, yet no one was able to find the exact problem or point me to it. It has been a number of years of frustration. I was not being rude or snide. I like any other person may not always get the point immediately. The issue is now dead and needs to be left that way. With luck the server will be fully Firefox compliant in the very near future. I have already spent about 8 hours and have fixed approximately 100 files, there are literally a thousand or so more to do.

alfreema
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby alfreema » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Rudi no worries -- now I get the full context of why you were flustered! 4 gigs and 10 years! Man! That's one heck of an effort.

And while there was no doubt that a lot of effort has went into this site, it clearly shows .. excellent Google rankings with a ton of information and very generous community greeting when I posted my first post in the Farmall Cub section.

Good job!

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”