This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

hydraulic lift

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
corncartdriver
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 60142

hydraulic lift

Postby corncartdriver » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:40 am

I have a 1956 cub with fast hitch. after 20-30 minutes of operating the hydraulics quit working. the reservoir also gets so hot you can't touch it. I have even used a garden hose to cool it off to keep going. it does leak some but even after filling it doesn't work. anyone have any ideas? thanks corncartdriver

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: hydraulic lift

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:08 pm

If it is getting hot, an oil passageway is blocked and causing the hydraulics to go "on demand" all the time.

Normally, unless you are moving the rockshaft, the oil circulates through the system at low pressure. If something is blocking the passage of that oil back to the reservoir, it builds pressure and is eventually forced through the relief valve.

Your Cub engine probably sounds strained and there is likely a squealing or buzzing noise coming from the hydraulics when this was happening.

Now, something blew out and it's not working anymore. The only way to figure it out is to take it apart.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:09 pm

My first thought is that the stops are out of adjustment, and that the pump is still trying to move the lift piston when the lever is at the end of the travel. Look in one of the on line service manuals at the top of the page, and read the part about adjsuting sotp clips. If you do not have a pressure gauge, you can tell by listening to the engine when the TC is not under a load.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby leerenovations » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:01 pm

I think I have the same problem except my TC is still working. In an earlier post I had, i emntioned that when I got through mowing, I had fluid sizzling under the TC unit. How can I clear up a stoppage in the unit? ANd I will also adjust the stops.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Farmall Cub”