This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

broken image links

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

broken image links

Postby cub47 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:19 am

I was looking through the "How To" forum and found several topics that contained broken or missing image links.

I realize that it is up to the original poster to keep these images uploaded or keep the links up to date, but that does not always happen due to different circumstances.

Has anyone thought about saving the images to one central location, whether it be the cub photo host (or other servers) soon after the post is made? I guess it would have to be be monitored by a select few individuals and that the links would also have to be edited accordingly within the posts.

Otherwise, I can see how some of the "How To" posts can be hard to follow for new members. But I also realize this would take a lot of time and server space that may not be available.

Just throwing out some ideas, I am willing to help if needed.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: broken image links

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 am

I have been working on the How To forum off and on for almost a year now. Last winter I got it all organized. I have already moved some photos to a more secure spot. This winter I will be moving many more of the photos . The How To has over 300 topics and a couple thousand pix so it will take quite a bit of time. Currently, I am looking for lost photos. It's gonna take some time, but it is slowly getting better.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 am

Bill, I can certainly understand that you have a large amount of material to go through, the format is very easy to navigate now since being reorganized, and like I mentioned in my original post, if I can provide any assistance, just let me know.

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks for bringing this topic up. When posting images on Farmallcub, the best places to upload them are directly to the site (in the posting) or the Cubfest photo host. Those two places will ensure that your pictures stay with the posting, well, forever.

Attaching photo's by uploading them in the post is pretty easy and I always make sure there is plenty of space for them so they will always stay with the original message. Perhaps Bill can do a how-to on uploading photos in a posting?

Dennis
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am

Dennis wrote:Perhaps Bill can do a how-to on uploading photos in a posting?

It's in the Video How To forum. :D

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 am

Dennis wrote: Perhaps Bill can do a how-to on uploading photos in a posting?

This is how I do it.

I use Microsoft Office and Picture Manager (found in the Office Suite)

I highlight my pics I want to load

Then press "Edit"

Then click "Compress Photo"

Then "web Page"

Then "OK"

Then "Save"

The picture is now the proper size

In your post, found just below the "Submit" button, you will see "Upload Attachment" and just below that the "Browse" button

Click on "Browse"

Choose your picture

Click the "Add the File" button.

You can add up to 6 pictures per post this way.

Dale

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

When photos are attached to a post can the autor delete them from the hosting site if they wanted to even when the post is locked? If they are in the photohost I can easily put them in the How To photo album to protect them. Not sure how that would work as an attachment with out causing more work in moving them.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:48 pm

Many of the How To's or CBoK items actually have links to my manual server where the archives for them have been resident for a number of years. I have copies of almost every entry, and as I find busted links (photo's no longer on other sites) then I usually edit and upload archived copies. Some members have also let me know what links are broken and as I have the health and the time I fix them.

Dennis is correct, one way to guarantee that the pics won't be lost is to upload them to farmallcub.com. However if this is the route you choose remember that because of the pics size limits - enlarging them to see fine details becomes next to impossible and sometimes removes the point behind the how to/cbok article.

I figure between those that are on the CubFest Photo Host (provided no one deletes them), my server and Dennis' farmallcub photo archive we have all the bases covered. However, Bill and I both have time limits so we get to it when we do ... sometimes there may be a week or so delay between report and fix..

Barnyard wrote:When photos are attached to a post can the autor delete them from the hosting site if they wanted to even when the post is locked? If they are in the photohost I can easily put them in the How To photo album to protect them. Not sure how that would work as an attachment with out causing more work in moving them.

Bill:

I don't think the author can delete them from the database. That may be a mod/admin function or maybe an admin only function.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:42 pm

Barnyard wrote:When photos are attached to a post can the autor delete them from the hosting site if they wanted to even when the post is locked? If they are in the photohost I can easily put them in the How To photo album to protect them. Not sure how that would work as an attachment with out causing more work in moving them.

Bill, not if the post is locked.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

[cos][/cos]

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Rudi wrote:Dennis is correct, one way to guarantee that the pics won't be lost is to upload them to farmallcub.com. However if this is the route you choose remember that because of the pics size limits - enlarging them to see fine details becomes next to impossible and sometimes removes the point behind the how to/cbok article.

Rudi, the image size (resolution) does not matter when uploading to a post, only the size of the file -- 512kb limit, 6 images max per post (I think that is adequate for most purposes.)
Attachments
0715001315b.jpg
Example -- 511kb size image -- click thumbnail to see full image.
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Dennis wrote:

Bill, not if the post is locked.

I guess to clarify myself, I was wonder if the author could delete their pic from the photo server if it is attached. As it is now, if a photo is in the photohost or other on line site and the autor deletes that photo from his album, it will disappear from their post whether it is locked or not. I am wondering if the photo can be deleted if it is posted as an attachment.

Circle of Safety

Dennis
Site Admin
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm

Barnyard wrote:I guess to clarify myself, I was wonder if the author could delete their pic from the photo server if it is attached. As it is now, if a photo is in the photohost or other on line site and the autor deletes that photo from his album, it will disappear from their post whether it is locked or not. I am wondering if the photo can be deleted if it is posted as an attachment.

Not if it is an attachment to the post (uploaded image).

If it is on a photo host (Cubfest photo host, or other photo host), yes they can delete it since it is external to the forum; locked or not.

Dennis
Image Proud Member

[cos][/cos]

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Then we would be better off if the how to photos were all submitted as attachments to prevent potential loss.

Circle of Safety

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Dennis wrote:Not if it is an attachment to the post (uploaded image).

This is why I started attaching them. My photohost account would get full, so i would have to purge it to make room. Old pics of stuff long gone would get deleted. Then Rudi and many members would ask if I still had the original pics. Many I could not find-oops- so attaching for me is easier, faster and causes less problems.

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”