This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Back button error

FarmallCub.Com forum rules, suggestions, feedback & information.
Chris in WI
10+ Years
10+ Years

Back button error

Postby Chris in WI » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Anyone else get "webpage has expired" when hitting the back button when reading a thread and trying to get back to the forum or is it just me? :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Back button error

Postby Bigdog » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Chris - use the return link next to the reply butto or at the top of the page to return to the specific forum or even the index page.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:14 am

Bigdog wrote:Chris - use the return link next to the reply butto or at the top of the page to return to the specific forum or even the index page.

BD,
Is this something required at this point, or is the back button problem just a glitch in the new Forum format??

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:50 am

Dennis and BD, the "problem" I am having is similar to those mentioned above. When I come on line with the Forum, I ususally click on the new posts feature. If there is a topic there that I want to reply to, I do so, and here is where the problem arises. I noticed just now after replying that there was a link at the bottom of the page to return to the previous forum topic but that page comes and goes so quickly that I don't have time to click it. If I use the back arrow at the top of the page, then I get "page expired" and have to follow the cookie trail all the way back to the Index page, not the view new posts page. I then go back through the search for new posts and so on. I'm hopeful this is just a glitch that will be straightened out in the future. It is not an earthshaking problem, just a minor inconvienience. I really like the new format, especially the splitting of For Sale, Cub Vine, and the others.

Jim Roy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Roy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:51 am

I get the error message sometimes but not all the time instead I use the links at the top of the form page just as easy as the back button. I also get the same message on other forms such as Lowes, Sears and Homedepot. Just my openion but I thank it is a glitch on the web. :) :)
Jim
My wife has a long honey do list, I read it, thank about it, than take a nap to see if it goes away.
49 Cub

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:01 am

My back button seems to be working fine. (May just be my lucky day, you know, TAX day :mrgreen: ). I am using Firefox, (v. 2.0.0.13) Wonder if that is making any difference?
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:20 am

Dennis must have gotten it fixed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:21 am

I too, have been getting a lot of these errors, and I get them especially when I am doing a lot of stuff in a short period of time. From what I have seen so far, it is not limited to a specific set of actions. Depending on what you are viewing, you may or may not get a page expired error message. Most commonly, you will find the error if you are posting a message and hit the back button after previewing. This will result in a total loss of what you have written -- :censored: :roll: No.. You may not ask , and will require a complete rewrite of your post :!: You may also get them if you use the back button in your browser after simply viewing a post. Not sure why, aside from security.

The new software has has to become MSXML4.0 compliant to help with security issues and to eliminate any leftover data when exiting a page. This data, depending upon what it is, could contain bits of information that could assist a hacker in grabing important information. This applies to other areas of the web, but to ensure valid security globally, all new software has to be in conformity with the new guidelines. Ergo.. phpBB also has to be compliant. Therefore, the software will be acting differently than the previous version. (yeah... :oops: I have been reading the FAQ's as well as some of the stuff from the main phpBB site).

Sometimes the page expired error will also occur because of a general mysql4 db error which does occur a lot. That is a function of the mysql database software and how it interacts with the server. The best way to avoid the page expires error page is to use the Return to the Forum link at the bottom of the page or to use the links beside the Board index link in the header to navigate to the area you wish to get to.

This applies to IE. I haven't played with FireFox a lot on the new forum software yet. This is not definitive, just MH take on what I have been reading. Hope it helps a bit.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:38 am

The only time I get the "page expired" is in the situation that Pete mentioned earlier in this thread... when I post a new message.

My old habit (probably not the "right way" to do it) was to post my message, then hit the back button until I get to the forum I was in. When I do that now, I get the "page expired" notice. I then hit "forward" and go to the message. Up at the top of the page under the IHCUB logo, I then click board index, and poof I am back to where I started...

I am getting better about not hitting the back button now, but just using the "jump buttons" to go where I want to go...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:14 am

WisconsinCubMan wrote:My old habit (probably not the "right way" to do it) was to post my message, then hit the back button until I get to the forum I was in.

I'm using IE6, don't know if any other browsers will act the same. After I post a message, I right click the "Back" button and skip directly back to whichever forum (or new messages) page I want. I can skip over all the expired pages. If I just hit "Back", I get the most recent expired page (one that was constructed as part of posting). If I hit "Back" again I get another expired page. After the correct number of expired pages, I get back to the forum index.

MIke, try continuing "Back" through the expired pages. You will probably find that you can still get back to the forum index in the same number of "Back" buttons as before.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 am

Jim Becker wrote:
MIke, try continuing "Back" through the expired pages. You will probably find that you can still get back to the forum index in the same number of "Back" buttons as before.

Hi Jim,

Yes, that is one way that I got back...hitting the back button until I didn't get the expired page warning... It does take you back to where you were, but I found it to be "less clicks" to hit "forward" and then click on board index or "Farmall Cub" or whatever forum I was in...

I also just learned something else new... I learned about the "mark forums read" hot link! That is a nice feature...

Mike in La Crosse, WI
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:21 am

Mike:

There are a lot of things to get used to now. I like Jim still prefer IE6 and precisely for the Back Button control that is no longer available at least that I can find in IE7. Hmmm.. not an improvement to my mind. What Jim does (skip the pages is what I have learned to do whilst doing the construct on the Lo-Boy forum. Saved a lot, a LOT of time. Mozilla's FireFox 2.0.0.13 still works the same way, and I hope they don't take out that functionality. It is useful.

WinsconsinCubMan wrote:I also just learned something else new... I learned about the "mark forums read" hot link! That is a nice feature...

This feature was always available in phpBB, you probably just missed it. It was about the same place as the current button/link to mark all read. What is nice about that is for forums that you may or may not wish to read at the moment, you can clear the unread posts by hitting that button. However, it might just be me, but it seems we have another new feature. The posts you have not read in any given session, will remain marked unread even when you log in the next time. This.. is a very useful feature and one that I like considering the amount of crashes I had on my old puter before I rebuilt it. Now, I don't have to search to find what I didn't get to and wanted to.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:23 am

I am using nFire Fox and go back 1 page at a time with no problem after a post.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Not only can we learn about Cubs here, but computers as well. It is strange how we look at something everyday and can't see the forest for the trees. Today, thanks to Jim Becker, I learned something that I did not know about computers. I, like a lot of others I suspect, have not had any formal training on the computer, completely self taught, at least in what little I know. I never knew that if you right clicked the "Back" button in the browser window, that it would drop down a list of pages you had previously visited and then all you had to do was click on the one that you wanted to return to. I use IE6, as well as Jim and Rudi, but that little tidbit of info will make it much easier to get back to where I want to be without having to click back through the cookie trail. Thanks, Jim for that little piece of info.

Return to “Forum Rules, Suggestions, Feedback & Information”