This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

782 Diesel Problems

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tobaccoman
10+ Years
10+ Years

782 Diesel Problems

Postby tobaccoman » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Had two problems with my 782D today. First, after two rounds of mowing, the deck blades quit turning. Would not turn back on. So I headed back to the shop and while setting there idling, the second problem. The motor just quit running. When I tried to start it, nothing. The oil light on the dash wouldn't even come on. Anybody got any thoughts????

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 782 Diesel Problems

Postby Gary Dotson » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:54 am

I'm not very familiar with the 782 but I'm assuming it has an electric PTO clutch and also an electric engine shut down solenoid? If that's the case, it sounds like an electrical issue, maybe as simple as a dead battery. When the battery got low, the PTO dropped out, then as it continued to drain, the shut down solenoid dropped out as well. Check the battery, cables and connections. It may be that your alternator has stopped working.

tobaccoman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tobaccoman » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:10 am

Thanks for your thoughts.
Was so disgusted I didn't check nothing. Hotter than blue blazes yesterday; gonna be about the same today, but I will tackle it anyway.
I do know for some time my battery has been shot. Been jumping it to start and it does fine. Will start with getting a new battery and go from there.
But couldn't understand why a diesel would quit because of no juice. Unless it has an electric fuel pump???

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:35 am

Yes, Gary nailed it for you. Either your battery is bad, not taking a charge, or the generator is not charging. The electric PTO clutch causes a constant drain on a battery, so if the charging system is bad, or the battery is bad, that is exactly what happens. First the PTO disengages (because there's not enough juice to keep the magnet engaged, and then, if it was a gas engine, the engine would eventually die because there's not enough juice to make spark. In your case, since it's a diesel, it kept running until you got back to the barn because the diesel engine doesn't really need electricity to make it run (compression ignition). It may have an electric fuel pump, so I'm guessing that's why it eventually died.

First take your battery to be load tested. If it passes, then your alternator is likely bad. If I remember right, the little Kubota engine has either a Bosch or Hitatchi alternator. Either way, not a big deal, either get it rebuilt, or may just be easier to find a new one online. In the meantime, if you charge your battery up good the night before, you'll be able to mow for a while each time, but it will eventually die out just like it did this time.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Ida Red
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ida Red » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:28 pm

Gitractorman good to see you are still on here. I have been missing in action for a while but back on here again.
August 28th is a special day for me... Let me tell you why.
Back in August 28,1943, 74 years ago, my uncle left early on his last & final, 29th bombing mission. There were around 850 bombers heading for Nuremberg Germany. It was a clear 'full moon' night, a pilot's worst nightmare and they ran into trouble when a 'nightfighter' coming up underneath. He shot their belly out. The Lancaster went down and he followed them to the ground. Two of the crew survived and were taken prisoner, but 3 were not so lucky, my Uncle Brock being one of them...
Let's Respect Our Hard Earned Freedom...thank a vet, old or new. Les.Ferris Norwich, ON.
IHC made a quality machine and was leader of the pack.Let's keep them running,

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:07 am

On many modern diesels there is an electrical solenoid that controls the fuel shutoff at the injection pump. If the key shuts off your engine normally, that is how yours is set up.

When you idled the engine down as you pulled up to the shop, the voltage from the alternator dropped below what was needed to hold the fuel solenoid open, and it shut the engine down.

I agree that your battery finally gave up completely, but I will go one step further and surmise that your battery failed shorted, about the time the mower deck quit. The battery starts soaking up all the electrical energy the alternator can produce, and the voltage drops. Hopefully it didn't burn out the regulator from being overworked.

Return to “Cub Cadet”