New, picked up my first Cub.

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BassnTruck
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm
Zip Code: 66071

New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby BassnTruck » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:56 pm

Family bought my current plow pig new back in 97. The frame had broken and the holes for the deck had egged out causing it to no longer cut even. It had always been used as the snow plow in the winter. After it would no longer cut level and a new Ferris zero turn replaced it she sat around for 8 years unused. It started having running issues when it was retired. I thought it was the fuel pump going out.

A year ago I decided to get the ole girl back up and running. Tires were rotted out along with everything rubber. We had always run Mobil1 in the Kohler motor and it did not take much to get her back up and running. Replaced the fuel system, Cleaned the carb, and cleaned out the tank. Along with new filters, oil and a plug. Removed the transmission and put new fluid in it. Ironically it was Cub Cadet commercial semi synthetic hydro oil. Reattached the plow and added a new headlight. Plowed well last year the few times it was needed. I used it to haul a bunch of dirt this spring with the cart. This is when I realized I wanted a little better tractor for tractor duties.

Image

Which brings us to today.

Went and picked up a 127 with no motor. Came with a few attachments. Came with an original tiller and a plow.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

She had been left for dead for quite a while. All the buttons and knobs are stuck, seat was growing new cushion, and the tires are gone. My wife and father were not impressed I drug this home let alone gave any money for it. One of my girls and one of my boys like it though. I have some big plans for it but I am not ready to start on it as I have other projects that need finished first. I will be putting some new rubber on her so I can move it around easier. Then she will be sitting for a while, covered and out of the weather.

One thing I did notice is there is play in the steering. It is likely covered somewhere on this forum but I have not looked into it or torn the tractor apart yet.
The upper part of this arm moves before the bottom part for the wheel and crossover can catch up.
Image

Once I get the time to get going on this project I am sure I will be around a lot more and updating this thread with the plans and the build. I will let out, if you are a purist, you will be disappointed as it will be noisy and smell funny.

Later

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 8323
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 8:02 pm
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: CO, Longmont

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:01 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Sounds like you have a good project ahead.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

User avatar
Zorro
Cub Star
Cub Star
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:36 pm
Zip Code: 01821
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
1968 Case 155
Scotts 1542
Cordwood Saw
CC 125
CC 102
CC 129/1200
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Massachusetts

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Zorro » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:21 am

Hello, and welcome. I had the same steering problem with my 125. It turned out to be the bolt that holds the arm to the spindle, it was broken, but looked intact.
Hold her Knute, she's headin' for the buckwheat!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16260
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:08 am

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

Above site, some tips on repairing steering. Frequently the steering arm and spindle's attachment hole is wallowed out. Brian Miller has a neat inexpensive fix.

You may find that the steering sector needs to be rebuilt and tie rod ends replaced.

Edit: Looking over your photos, parts tractor only. You can purchase a work ready Cub Cadet for way less money that it's going to cost getting this one up and running.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BassnTruck
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm
Zip Code: 66071

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby BassnTruck » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Eugene wrote:http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/index.htm

Above site, some tips on repairing steering. Frequently the steering arm and spindle's attachment hole is wallowed out. Brian Miller has a neat inexpensive fix.

You may find that the steering sector needs to be rebuilt and tie rod ends replaced.

Edit: Looking over your photos, parts tractor only. You can purchase a work ready Cub Cadet for way less money that it's going to cost getting this one up and running.


The rod ends are tight. It is just the top of that arm. I am sure it will be obvious once I get it apart.

This thing has plenty of life left in it. Work ready is a relative term. This unit will only cost as much as I care to spend on it. Which will likely exceed the price it was when new. I did not buy it for an investment. I have just about everything I need to get it back together already. The add ons and making it pretty is what will sink this ship. If you consider this a parts tractor I will take all the ones you have.

Zorro wrote:Hello, and welcome. I had the same steering problem with my 125. It turned out to be the bolt that holds the arm to the spindle, it was broken, but looked intact.

I read something about that. It might be the case.

I did a little work on it. Removed the rims and dismounted the old tires. Also removed the front wheel bearings. I ordered new sealed wheel bearings and tires. Getting ready to take the wheels to get blasted and powder coated.

Image
Image
Image

I picked up a blade. It is nothing like I have been able to find. It mounts very strangely and I can not seem to find another example. The other blades have a much different mounting system. I can hack the stuff off and make it work but I am curious is anyone knows what it is or went to. It might be missing a bracket but I do not have it.

Image
Image

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 13052
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:27 pm


BassnTruck
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm
Zip Code: 66071

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby BassnTruck » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 pm

Awesome, thanks.

Are they very desirable? I do not want to cut it up if there is a demand. I can source the correct blade.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Posts: 13052
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:59 pm
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: MN

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:17 pm

BassnTruck wrote:. . . Are they very desirable? . . .

I can't answer that. I see an occasional Cadet 60 at a show but they generally aren't considered that collectible. On the other hand, to the occasional person that has a 60, he may get real excited about the proper blade.

User avatar
gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Posts: 2529
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:35 am
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Grand Island, NY

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby gitractorman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 am

You might try listing it on ebay, or on http://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.pl.

I've never seen one of those in real life, only in photos. As was mentioned above, the 60 was a tiny little machine, and not powerful at all, so the fact they made a snow blade for it is kind of a joke, however, if you're "in" to collecting them, then there may be some value to it.

Also, the correct snow blade for your tractor is readily available for around $100, so I'd look for the correct one before trying to cut up/fabricate one.
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

User avatar
Shane Nelson
501 Club
501 Club
Posts: 1669
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 am
Zip Code: 27284
Tractors Owned: .
1947 Cub #1447 (Arnold)
1949 Cub (Walt)
1949 John Deere A
1972 Schramm Pneumatractor
1993 Ford 4630
1965 John Deere 110
1961 Cub Cadet Original
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Oak Ridge, N.C.

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Shane Nelson » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:05 am

To each their own but I am gonna have to agree with Eugene on this. Here's a nice restored one with new engine and new wiring harness, grass catcher, snow blower, snow plow and 2 sets of rear weights with deck for $1,100. I don't know what you gave for this one and it's none of my business but if you gave more than $100 for it you will have more than $1,100 when your done. I'm restoring a Cub and have more in it than it will ever be worth when I get done so I'm not knocking what you're doing.
https://for-sale.yakaz.com/cub-cadet-12 ... 0c8fof14d6
God is good, all the time!
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 16260
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:52 pm
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Mo. Linn

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Eugene » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:04 am

BassnTruck wrote:Went and picked up a 127 with no motor. She had been left for dead for quite a while. All the buttons and knobs are stuck, seat was growing new cushion, and the tires are gone.
BassnTruck wrote:If you consider this a parts tractor I will take all the ones you have.
My opinion, parts tractor. I didn't say I would not buy it.

I have 3 narrow framed Cub Cadets in working condition and one for parts, including mower deck, plus parts on the shelf. I buy narrow framed CCs for parts, if the price is right. One or two parts from a purchased parts CC will usually recoup the purchase price.
I have an excuse. CRS.

User avatar
Stanton
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Posts: 4274
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:56 am
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1945 Farmall H, serial #213,651
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y
Location: Lone Jack, MO

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby Stanton » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:19 am

Glad you rescued the 127. The tiller is something I'll be searching for at some point to put on the back of my 782.

BTW: Welcome to the forum from the other side of the state line (MO). :) Didn't know you in Paola until I saw your zip code.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

BassnTruck
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm
Zip Code: 66071

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby BassnTruck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:23 pm

Stanton wrote:Glad you rescued the 127. The tiller is something I'll be searching for at some point to put on the back of my 782.

BTW: Welcome to the forum from the other side of the state line (MO). :) Didn't know you in Paola until I saw your zip code.


There is one or two tillers on the KC CL I think.

Eugene wrote:
BassnTruck wrote:Went and picked up a 127 with no motor. She had been left for dead for quite a while. All the buttons and knobs are stuck, seat was growing new cushion, and the tires are gone.
BassnTruck wrote:If you consider this a parts tractor I will take all the ones you have.
My opinion, parts tractor. I didn't say I would not buy it.

I have 3 narrow framed Cub Cadets in working condition and one for parts, including mower deck, plus parts on the shelf. I buy narrow framed CCs for parts, if the price is right. One or two parts from a purchased parts CC will usually recoup the purchase price.


Chipmaker wrote:To each their own but I am gonna have to agree with Eugene on this. Here's a nice restored one with new engine and new wiring harness, grass catcher, snow blower, snow plow and 2 sets of rear weights with deck for $1,100. I don't know what you gave for this one and it's none of my business but if you gave more than $100 for it you will have more than $1,100 when your done. I'm restoring a Cub and have more in it than it will ever be worth when I get done so I'm not knocking what you're doing.
https://for-sale.yakaz.com/cub-cadet-12 ... 0c8fof14d6


I understand what you guys are saying. This is not my first project by any means. I know I can dump stupid money into this thing. I know it looks ruff and it will nickel and dime me for things like the tires, a seat, and the rest of the bits. But that is half the fun. I did not buy it as an investment. I could just keep using my Craftsman if I was trying to save a penny as I do not need this one. I already own most of the major parts I am going to need on this project. It is going to be the details and how pretty I want to make it that will run the tab up.

I made a deal today for 2 correct plows. I also dropped off the wheels at the powdercoater.

BassnTruck
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm
Zip Code: 66071

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby BassnTruck » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Here is one, has extensions. Asking $150 and NE of KCMO. Photos show it is missing the angle drive. Would have to ask them about it.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/5729151326.html

BassnTruck
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:31 pm
Zip Code: 66071

Re: New, picked up my first Cub.

Postby BassnTruck » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:22 pm

Gave her a bath tonight and removed the old seat. Tires are here also, still waiting on rims.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image


Return to “Cub Cadet”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests