This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH cub cadet 682 hydro problems

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JasonLA
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 45122

IH cub cadet 682 hydro problems

Postby JasonLA » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:37 pm

I have a 1980 682 that's giving me fits. The hydro trans will not go in reverse sometimes. The linkage is out of adjustment I do know that,neutral is not neutral, it's about a inch or so above neutral which would make me think it's just out of adjustment, well then there's time it will go in reverse very slowly and then take off. It will also do the same thing in forward,you can be going along and then all of a sudden it will take off faster without moving the linkage. Was driving it today going up a small incline, going up it would slow down to a crawl, when back on level ground it would take back off slowly to the speed I was at before. I have a change the fluid and filter since I've had it. Anyone with tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.Thank you

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH cub cadet 682 hydro problems

Postby gitractorman » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:13 am

Two things. One, did you use an IH/Cub Cadet filter and Hi-Tran fluid when you serviced the transmission. If not on either of these, it could be part of the problem.

Second, and more likely, it sounds like the hydro linkage is worn or possibly broken. The only way to tell is to pull the transmission tunnel cover off and look at the linkage while moving the lever forward/back. It should be pretty obvious if something is broken. There are a couple of pieces that look like tie rod ends, used for the linkage, that sometimes will break and allow a lot of slop in the linkage. You will have to play with it to see. You don't need to have the machine running, just take the cover off and move the lever and watch what happens.

The hydro system is actually pretty simple. There is one arm that comes out of the hydro unit, with a large, "triangular" shaped plate on it where the lever linkage attaches. The hydro unit itself doesn't care where that lever is positioned, all it does is open a valve to either let fluid flow one direction or the other. Since you do have forward and backward movement when operating the tractor, it sound like the hydro unit itself is ok. However, if you have a generic filter on the unit it could restrict flow of fluid, and cause some of the problems you mentioned. Also, if you used regular motor oil or the wrong type of hydro fluid, you could get fluid compression or foaming which could also cause those problems, so that's why I mentioned it first.

Dig into it and let us know what you find. Pictures always help too. I have a good running/operating 682, so I can take a look if you get into it and have any questions.

Bill
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

JasonLA
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby JasonLA » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:45 pm

Ok thanks so much!! I'll look into it sometime. I really like the tractor, it also has the lift so I can put a brinly hitch on it. Plus you don't see to many of the red ones at shows around where I am. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again!!

JasonLA
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby JasonLA » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:33 am

Well havent had a chance to work on it yet but I by chance ran into the gentleman that sold the tractor to the gentleman I bought it from. He says it has had Hydro issues for quite some time. He has tried to adjusted linkage every way he knew how to no avail. How many different models have that same Hydro transmission? I might just try to find one and just switch it?

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby indy61 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:21 am

You probably just need to repair the trunion.

http://cubfaq.com/trunionrepair.html

Return to “Cub Cadet”