Question about the Cub Cadet Starter

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 am

I have an LT1050 and took the starter off because that was the problem as to why it would start.
Looking at it when I tried to start it (while it was still on the cub) the gear in the middle would turn and spin and what not.
Taking it off I noticed that there was a rubber piece that sits right on the top of it. It was broken/torn (whatever word you would use for the rubber piece.
Is there away to replace just that rubber piece or do I need to buy a whole new starter?

Re: Question about the Cub Cadet Starter

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 am

What engine do you have? Check with your Cadet dealer or local automotive electric repair shop. They could probably get one for you.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:36 am

I have a 25 hp kohler courage engine.
I tried calling a cub cadet place and they said they were discontinued

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:31 am

Write down all the information on the engine data plate.

Take the starter along with the information to your favorite auto parts store.

Edit: Might also try your small engine shops. You will more than likely need a counter person who is willing to research - look up the starter. One manufacturer may discontinue the part, but more than likely the same part is and was utilized by another manufacturer and still available.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:38 am

Eugene wrote:Write down all the information on the engine data plate.

Take the starter along with the information to your favorite auto parts store.

Edit: Might also try your small engine shops. You will more than likely need a counter person who is willing to research - look up the starter. One manufacturer may discontinue the part, but more than likely the same part is and was utilized by another manufacturer and still available.

Good thinking! Something that I did not check

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 pm

That rubber piece is just a dust cover for the spring. It's not really necessary for the starter to work, however, it could have been binding up causing the problem. It is a standard dust cover used on just about all the starters for Kohler and Briggs engines. I'm guessing it looks a lot like this one:

Without the dust cover it looks like this:

Take the starter in to NAPA and they can get the dust cover for you.

I would spray down the spring with some brake cleaner and blow it out with an air gun to get all the crud out of it. You should be able to spin the gear backwards with your finger and it should climb out on the bendix/shaft of the starter, to the flywheel engagement position. If it feels clunky, tight, or doesn't move out freely, you might try pulling it out and cleaning that part of the shaft also. Don't put any grease or oil on it though, it will just gum up again.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks for the pics and the info
it is not the dust cover on the top.
If you look below that to the gear and then below that there is a rubber piece that is the piece that is broken.